Sulfuric Acid - Ionic, Polar Molecular or Non Polar Molecular

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 16K views
shahmeer
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What type of bond is Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4(aq))?

People tell me its ionic because the acid is made up of a polyatomic ion. However, many sources online say that the acid is polar.

I can't seem to figure out which bond it is.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
shahmeer said:
What type of bond is Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4(aq))?

Sulfuric acid is not a bond, it is a compound. It contains bonds - two different bonds. And when it is dissolved (as the (aq) part suggests) there are also other types of bonds involved.

So, what is the question?
 
Sorry, my mistake..

What type of bond holds the compound together, molecular or ionic? I would assume that a molecular bond holds the sulphate together but I am not sure about which bond holds the hydrogen and the sulphate together.

Could you also please explain which bonds are involved when the compound is in a solution?

Thank You