1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of arbitrary vertex to midpoint vectors

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    I was looking at a homework question posted here requiring proof that the vectors from the vertices of a triangle to the midpoint of the opposite edge sum to zero, and it struck me that there is a more general property:

Consider a set of points, [itex]\{A_0, A_1, \ldots A_n\}[/itex]. The midpoint of ##A_k## and ##A_{k+1}## is denoted by ##a_k##, with ##a_n## as the midpoint of ##A_n## and ##A_0##.

Now form a set of ##n## vectors defined by [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_ra_s}[/itex] such that each vertex and each midpoint is used once by a vector in the set.

Now that set of vectors will sum to zero.

--------------------------

Sketch of messy proof
    First step - the midpoints are a distraction. ##\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_ra_s} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_rA_s} + \stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_sa_s} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_rA_s }+ \frac{1}2\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A_sA_{s+1}}##, so the vector sum contains a scaled loop from the midpoint steps which sums to zero.

Next step - The remaining vectors form a set of closed loops which also sum to zero.

Improvements on this welcome...

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

The set of points A_k and a_k may be considered vectors from origon. So the n vectors you describe are on the form a_s-A_r, where s and r ranges from 0 to n with r depending on s via some bijection (<-- I assume this is what you mean).

a_k may be written as [itex]\frac{1}{2}(A_k+A_{k+1})[/itex], where indices are considered modulo n+1.

By writing out entire the sum, we get exactly 0.

4. May 27, 2014 #3
    Nice and neat. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook