Sum of Deviations: Proving $\sum_{i=1}^Nv_i(v_i - \langle v \rangle) = 0$

  • Thread starter Thread starter kubaanglin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kubaanglin
Messages
47
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


The average value of N measurements of a quantity ##v_i## is defined as
$$ \langle v \rangle \equiv \frac {1}{N} \sum_{i=1}^Nv_i = \frac {1}{N}(v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N)$$
The deviation of any given measurement ##v_i## from the average is of course ##(v_i - \langle v \rangle)##. Show mathematically that the sum of all the deviations is zero; i.e. show that
$$\sum_{i=1}^Nv_i(v_i - \langle v \rangle) = 0$$

Homework Equations


##?##

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand that this is simply describing an average, but I am not sure how to express this mathematically. It makes sense to me that the sum of the deviations would be zero.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kubaanglin said:

Homework Statement


The average value of N measurements of a quantity ##v_i## is defined as
$$ \langle v \rangle \equiv \frac {1}{N} \sum_{i=1}^Nv_i = \frac {1}{N}(v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N)$$
The deviation of any given measurement ##v_i## from the average is of course ##(v_i - \langle v \rangle)##. Show mathematically that the sum of all the deviations is zero; i.e. show that
$$\sum_{i=1}^Nv_i(v_i - \langle v \rangle) = 0$$
Your formula above is incorrect, as it has an extra ##v_i##.
The sum of the deviations is
$$\sum_{i = 1}^N (v_i - \bar{v})$$
Here ##\bar{v}## is the mean of the measurements ##v_i##.
kubaanglin said:

Homework Equations


##?##

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand that this is simply describing an average, but I am not sure how to express this mathematically. It makes sense to me that the sum of the deviations would be zero.
Simply expand the summation.
 
Last edited:
$$((v_1 - \langle v \rangle) + (v_2 - \langle v \rangle) + \cdots (v_N - \langle v \rangle))$$
$$((v_1 - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}) + (v_2 - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}) + \cdots (v_N - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}))$$
Is this sufficient to "show mathematically" that the sum of all the deviations is zero? I am just not sure what I am being asked to do.
 
kubaanglin said:
$$((v_1 - \langle v \rangle) + (v_2 - \langle v \rangle) + \cdots (v_N - \langle v \rangle))$$
$$((v_1 - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}) + (v_2 - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}) + \cdots (v_N - \frac {v_1 + v_2 + \cdots v_N}{N}))$$
Is this sufficient to "show mathematically" that the sum of all the deviations is zero? I am just not sure what I am being asked to do.

You are being asked to show that the summation you wrote above evaluates to ##0## for any possible inputs ##v_1, v_2, \ldots, v_N##.