1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of Forces in x- and y-directions

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Yusef pushes a chair of mass m = 55.0 kg across a carpeted floor with a force F of magnitude F(push) = 144 N directed at theta = 35.0 degrees below the horizontal. The magnitude of the frictional force between the carpet and the floor is F(fr) = 106 N. What is the magnitude of the acceleration a of the chair? What is the magnitude of the normal force F_N acting on the chair?

2. Relevant equations
    \Sigma F_x = F_{\rm p}\cos\theta - F_{\rm fr} = ma_x
    \Sigma F_y = F_{\rm N} - F_{\rm G}- F_{\rm p}\sin\theta = ma_y

3. The attempt at a solution

To figure out the sum of the forces in the x-direction, I plugged in known values, and found that my acceleration in the x-direction was .217416 m/s^2. I thought I used the correct method to figure out the sum of forces in the y-direction (I assumed the force of gravity and the normal force were equivalent) and I found out that the acceleration in the y-direction was -1.50173 m/s^2. However, my magnitude of acceleration, 1.517 m/s^2, was not the correct answer. The question asked for both the magnitude of acceleration and the normal force (which I figured to be 55(g): 539), so perhaps my normal force was wrong?

Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    Hi

The first part is right. For the second part we know that the normal force (R) is equal to m*g when no other forces are acting on the chair. In this case there is an external force acting on the chair, a component of this force is acting in the upwards y direction. Yet there is no acceleration in the y direction so we know that the forces must be balanced.

So in this case:

R + (144)sin30 = m*g

You can solve for R from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook