Change in acceleration with change of angle of applied force

• Thread starter GreenOlive
  • Start date
GreenOlive
Homework Statement:
How will the acceleration of the block change if the angle of the applied force is increase by 5 degrees? Write Increase, Decrease or Stay the same.
Relevant Equations:
Newton 2, Fnet = ma
friction = N * μ
Untitled Diagram.png

Let ##μ_k## = 0.5
##F_a## = 10 Newtons
##\theta## is the angel of the Applied force.
How will the acceleration of the block change if the angle of the applied force is increase by ##5^o##? Write Increase, Decrease or Stay the same.

Recently we were discussing a question similar to this in class, I believe the acceleration should INCREASE however the memorandum for the question said it would DECREASE. I would like to just confirm my maths is correct (This is not the first time I have seen such a question).

This is my general solution.

Let right be positive.

$$F_{net} = ma$$
$$F_{net} = F_{a,x} - f$$
$$ma = F_{a,x} - (N \times μ_k)$$
$$ma = F_a \times cos\theta - ((F_g-F_{a,y}) \times μ_k) $$
$$ma = F_a \times cos\theta - ((F_g-(F_a\times sin\theta)) \times μ_k) $$

As ##\theta## is the only variable changing let's isolate the expressions it is part of.

$$ma = F_a \times cos\theta + F_a\times sin\theta \times μ_k - F_g \times μ_k $$
$$ma = F_a (cos\theta + sin\theta \times μ_k) - F_g \times μ_k $$

lets graph ##(cos\theta + sin\theta \times μ_k) ##
desmos-graph.png

Desmos graph

Looking at the graph we can see ##(cos\theta + sin\theta \times μ_k)##increases from 0 until its maximum at 28.955 degrees from which it starts to decrease.
And as $$a = \frac{F_a (cos\theta + sin\theta \times μ_k) - F_g \times μ_k}m $$

Therefore by increasing the angle of the applied force by 5 degrees the acceleration will INCREASE.
By looking closer at the graph you could see that ##\theta## would need to be greater than 48.76 degrees for the acceleration to Descrease(or less than 5).

Who is Incorrect, the Memo or I?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Halc
Gold Member
Your graph, if proportional to acceleration, still shows positive acceleration when θ is > 90 degrees, which seems to imply that the block will move forward when you're applying negative force to it. That intuitively suggests something amiss.
It being positive for a while with a negative θ is OK. A force pulling a bit down can still move the block until the added friction eventually prevents any motion. So the left side of the graph seems ok.

GreenOlive
Can we create a limit: -90 < ##\theta## < 90. Angels not in this range would imply a negative applied force and then positive friction(if right is still positive) so you would have to change the equation.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The answer depends on the value of ##\mu##. For ##\mu = 0.5##, your answer is correct.

Last edited:
GreenOlive
@TSny I did include that under the image. Thanks for the confirmation

Suggested for: Change in acceleration with change of angle of applied force

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies