Sum of geometric series starting at n=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
esvion
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I have to find the sum of [tex]\sum9(2/3)^n[/tex] and I get a/1-r where a=9 and r=2/3...but I know a=6 and not 9. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong? The sum is from n=1 to infinity.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
esvion said:
I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?

Yep!
 
esvion said:
I have to find the sum of [tex]\sum9(2/3)^n[/tex] and I get a/1-r where a=9 and r=2/3...but I know a=6 and not 9. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong? The sum is from n=1 to infinity.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?
You left out important information! What is the beginning index for your sum?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/itex]<br /> <br /> but <br /> [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n[/tex]<br /> where I have factored out an "r" to reduce the first index to 0,<br /> and<br /> [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n\right) - a[/tex]<br /> where I have subracted off the [itex]ar^0[/itex] term.<br /> <br /> In particular, with a= 9, r= 2/3, <br /> [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n= (2/3)\sum_{n=0}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n[/tex]<br /> [tex]= \frac{2}{3}\frac{9}{1- 2/3}= \frac{6}{1- 2/3}= 18[/tex]<br /> <br /> or <br /> [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 9(2/3)^n= \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n\right)- 9[/tex]<br /> [tex]= \frac{9}{1- 2/3}- 9= 27- 9= 18[/tex][/tex]
 
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n[/tex]

hmm, may i know how to factorise that r please?
 
annoymage said:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n[/tex]

hmm, may i know how to factorise that r please?
It's just the "distributive law": [itex]ar+ ar^2+ ar^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= r(a+ ar+ ar^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]