Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of random variables and Fourier transform

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    If [itex]X_1[/itex] and [itex]X_2[/itex] are independent random variables in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], and [itex]\rho_{X_1}[/itex] and [itex]\rho_{X_2}[/itex] are their probability densities, then let [itex]\rho_{X_1+X_2}[/itex] be the probability density of the random variable [itex]X_1+X_2[/itex]. Is it true that

[tex]
    \hat{\rho}_{X_1+X_2}(\xi) = \hat{\rho}_{X_1}(\xi)\hat{\rho}_{X_2}(\xi),
    [/tex]

when [itex]\hat{\rho}[/itex] is the Fourier transform

[tex]
    \hat{\rho}(\xi) = \int\limits_{\mathbb{R}^n} \rho(x)e^{-2\pi ix\cdot\xi} d^nx?
    [/tex]

I believe it is true, but am unable to prove it when [itex]n>1[/itex]. If [itex]n=1[/itex], then I can show that

[tex]
    \rho_{X_1+X_2}(x) = \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}\rho_{X_1}(x-y)\rho_{X_2}(y) dy.
    [/tex]

This follows from a suitable variable change:

[tex]
    P(0\leq X_1+X_2\leq a) = \int\limits_{0\leq x_1+x_2\leq a} dx_1\; dx_2\; \rho_{X_1}(x_1)\rho_{X_2}(x_2)
    = \int\limits_0^a\Big(\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho_{X_1}(x-y)\rho_{X_2}(y) dy\Big) dx
    [/tex]

The result [itex]\hat{\rho}_{X_1+X_2} = \hat{\rho}_{X_1}\hat{\rho}_{X_2}[/itex] is then an easy result about convolutions and Fourier transforms.

If [itex]n>1[/itex], then a similar approach would start from the probability

[tex]
    P(X_1+X_2\in [0,a_1]\times\cdots\times [0,a_n]) = \int\limits_{\mathbb{R}^n} \Big( \int\limits_{-x_1 + [0,a]^n} \rho_{X_1}(x_1) \rho_{X_2}(x_2) d^nx_2\Big)d^nx_1
    [/tex]

but now I'm not sure what kind of variable change would work.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted