Sum of Spacelike Vectors: Always Spacelike?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Is it true that the sum of any two spacelike vectors is spacelike? I spent forever on this problem (5.4 from the link) and I think not...
http://books.google.com/books?id=xm...ts=aowTGAbHj6&sig=EIQ6_W2eCQmMnHVP0l6FH2dEehg

Actually, I think it is clearly not true if you think about the light-cone. But go to the link and tell me if there is something I am missing.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is very true that the sum of two spacelike vectors is not necessarily spacelike. Like, (t,x)+(t,-x)=(2t,0) where (t,x) is spacelike. It's not clear to me what the author is thinking about.
 
He must mean in the same direction. In any event it is a silly problem for a GR book.