Which Equation Should Be Used for QC 8.7 in Zwiebach?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
Is there another equation I should use?
You should use equations (3.88) on page 54 but replace the equation for G with the equation for [itex]\alpha'[/itex]. Then follow the technique on that page.
 
Sorry, can you explain what you mean replace the equation for G with the equation for alpha' (8.63 I assume)? G and J/hbar do not even have the same units.
 
ehrenfest said:
Sorry, can you explain what you mean replace the equation for G with the equation for alpha' (8.63 I assume)? G and J/hbar do not even have the same units.
There are three equations labeled (3.88). Replace all of the P subscripts with S. Toss out the equation that defines G and use equation (8.63) in its place. Express [itex]\sqrt{\alpha'}[/itex] in terms of [itex]{l}_S, {m}_S,[/itex] and [itex]{t}_S[/itex].
 
OK. I see why that works. My only concern is how do you know that you can replace the p subscripts with s subscripts. Those relations are only true in the Planckian system of units, right?