Sum of the infinite series ((-1)^n * (-7)^n)/n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Erubus
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the sum of infinite the series (-1)^n * 7^n/n! for n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations



e^x = sum (x^n)/n! for n=0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution



I combined the (-1)^n and the 7^n to make the summation ((-7)^n)/n! for n = 1 to infinity

then I changed the lower bound to 0 to make it similar to e^x

((-7)^(n+1))/(n+1)! for n=0 to infinity

I don't know where to go from here, help would be appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Erubus! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the "Quick symbols" box, and the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Erubus said:
I combined the (-1)n and the 7n to make the summation ((-7)n)/n! for n = 1 to infinity

then I changed the lower bound to 0 to make it similar to ex

((-7)n+1)/(n+1)! for n=0 to infinity

instead of changing the limits, just add a "0th" term …

-1 + ∑0∞ (-7)n/n! :wink:
 
Wow never would have thought of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks!