Sum of two inverse tangent functions

In summary, the formula for the sum of two inverse tangent functions is arctan(x) + arctan(y) = arctan((x+y)/(1-xy)). To simplify this sum, you can use trigonometric identities. The sum can be negative if the angles are in the third or fourth quadrant. The domain of the sum is all real numbers, except when the denominator of the simplified expression is zero. The sum of two inverse tangent functions has practical applications in fields such as trigonometry, navigation, surveying, physics, and engineering.
DreamWeaver
By considering the product of complex numbers:

\(\displaystyle z = (2+i)(3+i)\)

Show that

\(\displaystyle \tan^{-1}\frac{1}{2} + \tan^{-1}\frac{1}{3} = \frac{\pi}{4}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$(2+i)(3+i) = 5+5i = \sqrt{50}e^{i \arctan (1)} = \sqrt{50}e^{i \frac{\pi}{4}}$$

$$ (2+i)(3+i) = \sqrt{5} e^{i \arctan (\frac{1}{2})} \sqrt{10} e^{i \arctan (\frac{1}{3})} = \sqrt{50} e^{i [\arctan (\frac{1}{2}) + i \arctan(\frac{1}{3})]}$$

Therefore,

$$ \frac{\pi}{4} = \arctan \left( \frac{1}{2}\right) + \arctan \left(\frac{1}{3} \right)$$

Random Variable said:
$$(2+i)(3+i) = 5+5i = \sqrt{50}e^{i \arctan (1)} = \sqrt{50}e^{i \frac{\pi}{4}}$$

$$ (2+i)(3+i) = \sqrt{5} e^{i \arctan (\frac{1}{2})} \sqrt{10} e^{i \arctan (\frac{1}{3})} = \sqrt{50} e^{i [\arctan (\frac{1}{2}) + i \arctan(\frac{1}{3})]}$$

Therefore,

$$ \frac{\pi}{4} = \arctan \left( \frac{1}{2}\right) + \arctan \left(\frac{1}{3} \right)$$

Very efficient! But then, I'd expect nothing less from you. (Yes)

1. What is the formula for the sum of two inverse tangent functions?

The formula for the sum of two inverse tangent functions is arctan(x) + arctan(y) = arctan((x+y)/(1-xy)).

2. How do you simplify the sum of two inverse tangent functions?

You can simplify the sum of two inverse tangent functions by using the identity arctan(x) + arctan(y) = arctan((x+y)/(1-xy)) and applying trigonometric identities to the resulting expression.

3. Can the sum of two inverse tangent functions be negative?

Yes, the sum of two inverse tangent functions can be negative. This occurs when the sum of the two angles is in the third or fourth quadrant, where the tangent function is negative.

4. What is the domain of the sum of two inverse tangent functions?

The domain of the sum of two inverse tangent functions is all real numbers, except when the denominator of the simplified expression equals zero, which would result in an undefined value.

5. How can the sum of two inverse tangent functions be used in real-life applications?

The sum of two inverse tangent functions can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the angle of elevation or depression in trigonometry problems, determining the direction and distance of an object from a given point, and in navigation and surveying. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering for solving problems involving vectors and forces.