1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of two square and complex quadratic

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    I actually have two questions, both are in the complex plane.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q1: Express 962 as a sum of two squares (Hint: 962 = (13)(74)
    Q2. Given z,a belong to C (complex). Find a such that the roots of the equation [tex] z^2 + az + 1 = 0 [/tex] have equal absolute values (or modulus).

2. Relevant equations
    Well this is about the complex plane so for the first one I think most probably its Euler's Identity. As for the second it could be anything.

3. The attempt at a solution

Q1: It is a sum of squares so the best I can think of is that 962 is a modulus of a vector i.e. z belongs to C, |z| = 962. Because z = a + ib so [tex]962^2 = a^2 + b^2 [/tex]. Then I try writing z in polar so we have [tex]z = |z|e^i^x [/tex] , where x is the argument of z. But x = arctan b/a . So I somewhat got stuck in a loop.

Q2: We can't use the auxiliary equation because a is also complex. So it doesn't work. I tried expanding both z and a only to get stuck eventually in an overly complicated equation. Any suggestions on just how to start it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem asks you to find a and b such that [itex]a^2+ b^2= 962[/itex], NOT [itex]962^2[/itex]! Although it doesn't have anything to do with this hint, one way to do it is by "brute strength": Is 962- 1 a square? 962- 4? 962- 9?...

I have no idea what you mean by this. What "auxiliary equation? And the real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers- saying that "a is a complex number" doesn't mean it can't be real. There is an obvious real number solution for a.

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    The auxiliary equation is [tex] x = \frac{-b \frac{+}{-} \sqrt{4ac - b^2}}{2a}[/tex] where [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]. That's what I know it as anyways. Anyways, even the teacher said you can't do it that way. But if you can find a way, then I'd be more than happy.

You're right, I'm not saying a can't be real, but we also cannot make the assumption that it is purely real or imaginary. Why is there an obvious real number solution?

As for the sum of squares: I tried by brute strength, which did work, but its time consuming and has nothing to do with the hint or what we're studying. It turned out to be [tex] 962 = 11^2+29^2[/tex].

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook