Sum of two waves & wave equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the conditions under which the sum of two sinusoidal waves satisfies the wave equation. The equation for the sum wave is provided, as well as the 1D wave equation and an attempt at a solution. The solution involves rearranging and setting the velocities of the waves to be equal. However, there is uncertainty about whether the equation is correct due to a potential mistake.
DeIdeal
This thing is driving me mad, I thought I figured it out already, but it seems I was wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

"Under what conditions does the sum of two sinusoidal waves also satisfy the wave equation?"
The sum wave is

[itex]D(x,t) = A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The (1D) wave equation

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}D}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{1}{c²} \frac {\partial^{2}D}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much, but derivating both sides:

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}(A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t))[/itex]
[itex]=-A_{1}k_{1}^{2} sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)-A_{2}k_{2}^{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac {\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}( A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t))[/itex]
[itex]=-A_{1}\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}}{c^{2}} sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)-A_{2}\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}}{c^{2}}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

And rearranging gives:

[itex]A_{1}(k_{1}-\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}}{c^{2}}) sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)=A_{2}(\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}}{c^{2}}-k_{2}^{2})sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

But to be honest I've got little else I'm able to do after this. I don't think I've ever had to solve something like that. Is there some sort of an obvious trigonometric identity or something I'm missing here?

The answer should be that the velocities of the waves, ie [itex]\frac{\omega}{k}[/itex] are the same (which seems to lead to the velocity of the sum wave being that same velocity).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

EDIT: Hmm. I think I might've found a way to solve this.

The only problem is that I got

[itex]\omega_{1} k_{1} = \omega_{2} k_{2}[/itex]

instead of

[itex]\omega_{1} k_{2} = \omega_{2} k_{1}[/itex]

But I might've made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited:

What is the sum of two waves?

The sum of two waves refers to the total displacement of a medium caused by the simultaneous propagation of two individual waves. This can be calculated by adding the individual wave amplitudes at each point in the medium.

How is the sum of two waves calculated?

The sum of two waves can be calculated by adding the individual wave functions at each point in the medium. This is done by adding the amplitudes of the two waves at each point, taking into account their respective frequencies, wavelengths, and phases.

What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the propagation of a wave through a medium. It relates the wave's frequency, wavelength, and amplitude to its velocity and the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation can be derived from the fundamental principles of wave motion, such as the conservation of energy and mass, and the relationship between velocity and displacement in a medium.

What are the applications of the sum of two waves and the wave equation?

The sum of two waves and the wave equation have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to study and understand wave behavior, such as interference and diffraction, and to design and optimize systems that utilize wave propagation, such as antennas and musical instruments.