1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of two waves & wave equation

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    This thing is driving me mad, I thought I figured it out already, but it seems I was wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Under what conditions does the sum of two sinusoidal waves also satisfy the wave equation?"
    The sum wave is

[itex]D(x,t) = A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The (1D) wave equation

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}D}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{1}{c²} \frac {\partial^{2}D}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Not much, but derivating both sides:

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}(A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t))[/itex]
    [itex]=-A_{1}k_{1}^{2} sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)-A_{2}k_{2}^{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac {\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}( A_{1}sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)+A_{2}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t))[/itex]
    [itex]=-A_{1}\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}}{c^{2}} sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)-A_{2}\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}}{c^{2}}sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

And rearranging gives:

[itex]A_{1}(k_{1}-\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}}{c^{2}}) sin(k_{1} x-\omega_{1} t)=A_{2}(\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}}{c^{2}}-k_{2}^{2})sin(k_{2} x-\omega_{2} t)[/itex]

But to be honest I've got little else I'm able to do after this. I don't think I've ever had to solve something like that. Is there some sort of an obvious trigonometric identity or something I'm missing here?

The answer should be that the velocities of the waves, ie [itex]\frac{\omega}{k}[/itex] are the same (which seems to lead to the velocity of the sum wave being that same velocity).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    Bump

EDIT: Hmm. I think I might've found a way to solve this.

The only problem is that I got

[itex]\omega_{1} k_{1} = \omega_{2} k_{2}[/itex]

instead of

[itex]\omega_{1} k_{2} = \omega_{2} k_{1}[/itex]

But I might've made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook