Sum to infinity question (G.P.)

In summary, the homework statement is saying that there is a geometric series that includes the length of the perpendiculars AD, DE, and EF. The homework equations state that in order to find the length of the perpendicular AD, p, you must also find the length of the perpendicular DE, x.
lionely

Homework Statement

ΔABC has AB= 8 in, BC= 10in , CA= 6in . AD is the perpendicular from A to BC. DE the perpendicular from D to AB, EF the perpendicular from E to BD and so on. Show that CA + AD + DE+... is a geometric series and find it's sum to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm I assumed that the perpendicular would halve the base and I used Pythagoras' theorem to find the sides I would need. Well this turned out to be incorrect. I'm not sure how to find the right lengths of the sides, my geometry is weak. Could someone guide me and also give me a site or something that has a good geometric problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:

Homework Statement

ΔABC has AB= 8 in, BC= 10in , CA= 6in . AD is the perpendicular from A to BC. DE the perpendicular from D to AB, EF the perpendicular from E to BD and so on. Show that CA + AD + DE+... is a geometric series and find it's sum to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm I assumed that the perpendicular would halve the base and I used Pythagoras' theorem to find the sides I would need. Well this turned out to be incorrect. I'm not sure how to find the right lengths of the sides, my geometry is weak. Could someone guide me and also give me a site or something that has a good geometric problems.

The perpendicular does not halve the "base". Your assumption is incorrect.

ΔABC is a right triangle. Can you show that?

ΔABD and ΔACD are also right triangles, by assumption. There are two ways to find the length of AD; (1) right angle trig along with the given lengths for the original triangle or (2) facts regarding similar triangles and the preservation of ratios of corresponding side lengths.

Finding the length of each subsequent perpendicular is done in a similar (no pun intended) way.

If you haven't already done so, you should definitely sketch a decent picture of what you are working with.

Now that you mention it , Triangle ABC would be right angled, cause 6^2 + 8^2 = 10^2

So the 1st perpendicular dropped makes Two isosceles triangles appear right? The perpendicular bisects the 90 at A?

Look at the attached figure

Apply Pythagoras theorem to ΔADC and Δ ABD .You will get two equations with two unknowns (p and x) .Using them find the length of the perpendicular AD (i.e p).

Similarly consider ΔBDE and ΔDEA .Again apply Pythagoras theorem .Find the length of the perpendicular DE .

Do you see a pattern in the lengths CA ,AD, DE ?

What do you get ?

Attachments

• triangle.PNG
    triangle.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Thanks so much, I realized that this was pretty easy, I guess I was being too lazy with the thinking..

What is a "Sum to infinity question (G.P.)"?

A "Sum to infinity question (G.P.)" is a mathematical question that involves finding the sum of an infinite geometric progression. It is a series of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio.

What is the formula for finding the sum to infinity of a geometric progression?

The formula for finding the sum to infinity of a geometric progression is S = a / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula only works if the absolute value of r is less than 1.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric progression?

A finite geometric progression has a limited number of terms, while an infinite geometric progression has an infinite number of terms. In a finite progression, the sum can be calculated by adding up all the terms, but in an infinite progression, the sum can only be approximated.

What is the common ratio in a geometric progression?

The common ratio in a geometric progression is the number that is multiplied by each term to get the next term. It is denoted by the letter r and is found by dividing any term by the previous term.

How do you know if a geometric progression is convergent or divergent?

A geometric progression is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. This means that as the terms get larger, they approach a finite value. If the absolute value of the common ratio is greater than or equal to 1, the progression is divergent, meaning the terms will get larger and larger without approaching a finite value.