1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation Convention for 2 Vectors

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    From an exercise set on the summation convention: X and Y are given as [Xi] = \begin{pmatrix}
    1\\ 0\\ 0\\ 1\end{pmatrix} and [Yi] = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ 1\\ 1\end{pmatrix} There are a few questions involving these vectors. The one I am stuck on asks to compute XiYj .

It may be necessary to raise lower indices in the question, the book that this question comes from uses a metric with signature ( - + + + ) for doing this.

I have no attempt, I have no idea what the question actually wants. I thought there is only a summation if the indices are the same and matrix multiplication is obviously not an option

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]x^iy^j[/itex] is the tensor of rank 2 (square matrix) which has [itex]x^i y^j[/itex] at row [itex]i[/itex], column [itex]j[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  4. Apr 5, 2014 #3
    So in other words it's a YXT operation that's required. I am quite confused by your answer, is it supposed to be evident from the notation that this is the thing to do?

5. Apr 5, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

BHL 20, please don't adorn your text with size tags.

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you should post the exact problem statement. "Compute ##X^i Y^j##" doesn't make much sense to me. Does it mean "compute ##X^iY^j## for all i,j? Then the straightforward way is to just do these multiplications one at a time: ##X^0Y^0=1\cdot 0=0##, ##X^1Y^0=0\cdot 0=0##,... The results of these 16 calculations can be arranged in a matrix, which for all i,j, has ##X^iY^j## on row i, column j (and the results can be arranged in other ways as well), but you shouldn't be required to present the result in the form of a matrix.

If you really want to, you can use the definition of matrix multiplication in the following way. For all i,j, we have
    $$(XY^T)^i{}_j =\sum_{k=0}^0 X^i{}_k (Y^T)^k{}_j = X^i{}_0 Y^j{}_0 =X^i Y^j.$$

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6
    Thanks Fredrik, I see now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted