Summer Assignment - resulting slick

In summary, the area of a slick created by spilling 300 cubic meters of oil into the ocean is 600,000,000 meters squared.
Snead1
Ive seen questions like this one done here before but I don't think I am understanding this well. The question is:

Suppose 300 cubic meters of oil is spilled into the ocean. Find the are of the resulting slick, assuming that it is one molecule thick, and each moelcule occupies a cube .50 um (micrometers) on a side.

I believe the proper formula for this situation is Area=Volume/Depth. So then I would do Area=300 meters cubed/.5 micrometers. Convert the micrometers to meters and get Area=300 meters cubed/.0000005 meters and have my answer being 600,000,000 meters squared.

Is that right though? For some reason I think its wrong, and I hadn't any idea what to do at all until i found the formula but it just seems like...I don't know, a bit too easy and like maybe I am missing something. It also appears that the answer is ridiculously large, but maybe its supposed to be like that? Any help on this would be appreciated, I would be shocked if what I did was correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe an easier way (or just a double-check on your answer) would be to figure out how many molecules there are in 300m^3 of oil and do the area math. Do you know how to figure out how many molecules there are in 300m^3 of oil?

Looks right to me.

berkeman, I don't think that's an easier way ;)

Im not sure what you mean by your way but, you say I actually did it right? Thanks for confirming what I did, I was having a lot of trouble on that problem and didn't even get as far as finding the area formula until I foudn this website, which is when I quit guessing what to do and trying to look it up becuase I was so confused.

What is a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick"?

A "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" is a scientific term used to describe a phenomenon where an oily or slimy layer forms on the surface of a body of water, typically during the summer months. This layer is often caused by a combination of factors such as warm temperatures, excess nutrients, and the growth of algae or bacteria.

What causes a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" to form?

A "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" can be caused by a variety of factors, including warm temperatures, excessive levels of nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus, and the growth of algae or bacteria. These conditions can lead to an overgrowth of certain microorganisms, which can create the slimy layer on the surface of the water.

Is a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" harmful to the environment?

In most cases, a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" is not harmful to the environment. However, if the slick becomes too thick, it can block sunlight from reaching the bottom of the body of water, which can harm aquatic plants and animals. It can also deplete oxygen levels in the water, which can be harmful to fish and other aquatic life.

Can a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent or reduce the formation of a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick". These include reducing the amount of nutrients entering the water, such as through proper disposal of waste and limiting the use of fertilizers, and promoting the growth of natural predators of algae and bacteria, such as certain types of fish or plants.

What should I do if I encounter a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick"?

If you encounter a "Summer Assignment - resulting slick" while swimming or boating, it is generally safe to continue your activities. However, if the slick appears to be thick or has a foul odor, it may be best to avoid the area and notify local authorities. Additionally, it is important to practice good hygiene and wash your hands after coming into contact with the slick.