Finding the area of an oil slick

  • Thread starter Thread starter iamjohnny56
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Oil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
iamjohnny56
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Assume that an oil slick consists of a single layer of molecules and that each molecule occupies a cube 0.792 nm on a side.
Determine the area of an oil slick formed by 1.56 m^3 of oil.
Answer in units of m^2.

Homework Equations



1 nanometer = 1.0E9 meters

The Attempt at a Solution



.792 nm = 7.92E-10 m

(1.56 m^3) / (7.92E-10 m) = 1.97E9 m^2

---

I think I'm doing everything right, but it's coming up as wrong...could someone please look through my work and point out anything I'm doing wrong?

That would be much appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you imagine the volume of oil as a cube consisting of a stack of many one-molecule-thick layers, then what you have calculated is the area of a single layer.
 
Thanks, lewando. I realized that I forgot the "+9" after the E when entering the problem in uTexas...although that's never been an issue before, I guess uTexas now requires that for exponents.
 
I'm glad it you figured that out. Please disregard my prior post altogether. I am flat-out dyslexic and it resulted in me giving you bad information.