Finding the area of an oil slick

• Thread starter iamjohnny56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the area of an oil slick formed by 1.56 m^3 of oil, assuming each molecule occupies a cube 0.792 nm on a side. The resulting area is 1.97E9 m^2. The conversation also mentions a mistake made in entering the problem into uTexas, which was resolved by adding "+9" after the E when entering the exponent.
iamjohnny56

Homework Statement

Assume that an oil slick consists of a single layer of molecules and that each molecule occupies a cube 0.792 nm on a side.
Determine the area of an oil slick formed by 1.56 m^3 of oil.
Answer in units of m^2.

Homework Equations

1 nanometer = 1.0E9 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

.792 nm = 7.92E-10 m

(1.56 m^3) / (7.92E-10 m) = 1.97E9 m^2

---

I think I'm doing everything right, but it's coming up as wrong...could someone please look through my work and point out anything I'm doing wrong?

That would be much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you imagine the volume of oil as a cube consisting of a stack of many one-molecule-thick layers, then what you have calculated is the area of a single layer.

Thanks, lewando. I realized that I forgot the "+9" after the E when entering the problem in uTexas...although that's never been an issue before, I guess uTexas now requires that for exponents.

I'm glad it you figured that out. Please disregard my prior post altogether. I am flat-out dyslexic and it resulted in me giving you bad information.

Your solution looks correct to me. However, it is important to note that an oil slick is not a perfect cube and the molecules may not be perfectly aligned, so the actual area may vary slightly. Additionally, the units should be m^2, not m, so the final answer should be 1.97E9 m^2. It is possible that the answer is being marked wrong due to rounding errors, so you may want to try using more significant figures in your calculations to get a more precise answer.

1. How do you determine the area of an oil slick?

The area of an oil slick can be determined by using a variety of methods, such as satellite imagery, aerial photography, or measuring the dimensions of the slick using specialized tools.

2. What factors affect the calculation of the area of an oil slick?

The size and shape of the oil slick, as well as wind and ocean currents, can all affect the calculation of the area of an oil slick. Additionally, the type and thickness of the oil can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

3. Why is it important to accurately calculate the area of an oil slick?

Accurate calculations of the area of an oil slick are crucial for determining the potential environmental impact and for developing strategies for cleanup and containment. It also helps in identifying the source of the oil and holding responsible parties accountable.

4. What units are typically used to measure the area of an oil slick?

The area of an oil slick is usually measured in square kilometers (km2) or square miles (mi2). In some cases, it may also be measured in square meters (m2) or hectares (ha).

5. Can the area of an oil slick change over time?

Yes, the area of an oil slick can change over time as it spreads and breaks down. This is why it is important to regularly monitor and reassess the area of an oil slick to accurately track its movement and impact.