1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer getting too hard for you? Post your Fall Schedule to cool down!

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Summer has started and I know a lot of college students have already made their schedule for fall. Post them here!

I'll start...

Engineering Mechanics
    Thermal Science
    Nuclear System Dynamics/Control
    Numerical Methods and Fortran
    Nuclear Engineering Lab

I'm also considering adding Nuclear Criticality Safety

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    Starting second year, and I'm starting to mix physics and electrical engineering courses. (I still haven't decided whether physics is going to be a minor or a second major)

Fall 2011:
    Programming Fundamentals
    Digital Circuits
    Honours Calculus III
    Classical Mechanics I
    Applied Physics Laboratory I

Winter 2012:
    Computer Organization
    Circuits II
    Electronic Devices and Materials
    Modern Physics II
    Classical Mechanics II

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

cjl

My schedule isn't final at this point, but here is how it looks at the moment:

Reacting flows (I'm a little concerned about this one - my fluid mechanics is fairly up to speed, but my chem knowledge is a bit rusty...)
    Rocket propulsion
    Linear control systems
    Graduate projects

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    Classical Mechanics II
    Foundations of Advanced Mathematics
    Modern Physics
    Advanced Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers(PDE's n' stuff)
    Sociology(hey, had to have 1 easy course)

Expecting a challenging semester.

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5
    Introduction to Real Analysis I
    Graph Theory
    Combinatorics
    Computer Science II

7. Jun 18, 2011 #6
    Fall:
    Partial Differential Equations I
    Classical Mechanics I
    Electromagnetic Theory I
    Senior Lab
    Stars Galaxies and Cosmology

Winter (better semester imo):

Quantum Mechanics I
    Intro to Thermal Physics
    Computer Simulations
    Electromagnetic Theory II
    Gravitational Cosmology and Astrophysics

8. Jun 18, 2011 #7
    Quantum Mechanics
    Galaxies and Cosmology
    Digital Electronics
    Teaching and Learning in a Diverse Society
    Capstone Project (will last 2 semesters)

9. Jun 18, 2011 #8
    I'm not sure yet. I'm a transfer student who's just about to start classes, so naturally I'm going to be screwed by all the freshmen and returning students who have snagged classes. However, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities:

Intro to aerospace engineering (a throwaway class for the wishywashy, but it's required, so.. sigh)
    Differential equations (mostly ODE's, but some PDE's towards the end)
    Vector calculus (mostly calc III stuff, which is funny, since I've already done calc III -- but it's going to be way more advanced this time)
    Freshman sig course (probably one involving religion and politics -- I'm a militant atheist, so I should have a lot of fun arguing with the theists)
    Statics
    Intro to programming in MATLAB (I've never programmed anything in my life, and this is the course they recommend for people in my predicament -- I'm going to self-study over the next couple months and maybe be able to drop it)

OR

Intro to programming in MATLAB
    Freshman sig course
    Engineering design and graphics
    Statics
    Differential equations
    Technical communication for aerospace engineering majors

I'm thinking it's gonna end up being the second one, if only because the other schedule had a really wacky set of conflicts.

10. Jun 18, 2011 #9
    Have you contacted your engineering Adviser yet? I did that and was able to register before them.

11. Jun 18, 2011 #10
    Going to talk to them when I go for orientation on thursday. I have to be officially advised in order to register for classes.

12. Jun 18, 2011 #11
    Fall will be the last semester of my sophomore yr :approve:

Fall 2011
    Physics w/calculus II
    General Chemistry and qualitative analysis II
    Calculus III w analytic geometry (taking DE this summer)
    Intro to speech comm.

Looks nice and boring -_- I was also thinking of squeezing C++ in there somewhere, but I'll see how I'm feeling after summer.

13. Jun 18, 2011 #12
    Calc III is actually a really cool class in my experience. Maybe it was just me, but everything you learned in calculus I just becomes so much clearer in calculus III. The generalizations to higher dimensions are actually pretty neat.

One thing I'll tell you is, I had my hands full with physics II, gen chem II, and calc III. Maybe it was just my lackadaisical attitude (which I'm working on), but the course load was a little rough at times. I'm not saying you won't be able to squeeze your C++ course in, but it'll probably be difficult with your speech course too.

14. Jun 18, 2011 #13
    Looks like it's going to be:

Honors Advanced Calculus I
    Introduction to Group Theory
    Electricity and Magnetism
    Experimental and Statistical Methods of Physics
    Statistics I

15. Jun 18, 2011 #14
    Thanks Angry Citizen!

Yeah, you're probably right. I was feeling burned out at the end of Spring because I pulled like three all nighters, and it spilled into the summer. This summer I have physics I, chem I and DE. Sometimes the coarse load is a bit much. Plus my physics class is a nightmare and I'm trying to be optimistic -_-

Thanks for the info about calc III too!

16. Jun 18, 2011 #15
    Fall will be the first semester of my senior year. Having only 1 required course left and having taken some interesting electives up to my 3rd year, I've decided to only take 3 classes and continue research in order to prepare for the PGRE during the semester.

Fall 20011:
    Cosmology
    Electronics I (+ Lab)
    Mathematical Methods for Physicists I (Graduate Course)
    Undergraduate Research

I was planning to take an elementary particles course as well but it got canceled last minute. Should be a relaxed semester. I'm specially excited about Cosmology and the graduate course. Electronics should be a useful practical course. However, I'm stressing over the PGRE already!

17. Jun 18, 2011 #16
    Introduction to Partial Differential Equations and Applications I
    The Theory of Differential Equations I - Essentially Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos Theory
    Analysis I
    Linear Algebra I

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  18. Jun 18, 2011 #17
    Electricity and Magnetism I
    Quantum Mechanics
    Real Analysis I
    Astrophysics Seminar
    Intermediate Lab - Electrons

19. Jun 18, 2011 #18
    Well I just withdrew from my physics I course -_-
    So fall will be all the same except Physics I with calc

20. Jun 18, 2011 #19
    Precalculus
    Intro to Chemistry
    Freshman Seminar
    Chinese 1.

Don't judge me. I'm just starting my undergrad in the fall as an Evolutionary Bio/Chinese double Major.

21. Jun 18, 2011 #20
    That is freaking cool!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook