Summer getting too hard for you? Post your Fall Schedule to cool down

In summary: I'm actually really excited to take it because I've heard it's really interesting and cool.In summary, college students are discussing and sharing their schedules for the upcoming fall semester. Some are taking a mix of physics and electrical engineering courses, while others are considering adding classes such as sociology or differential equations. Many students are also facing challenges with scheduling and course conflicts.
eXorikos said:
Aren't you supposed to take 60 in a year, so 30 in one semester? :/

As Angry Citizen said, that would be an absurd courseload. My Aerospace Engineering undergraduate coursework totaled 128 credits, so spaced out over 4 years, that's 16 credits per semester average. At my school (University of Colorado at Boulder), the minimum required credits for a full time student is 12 (undergraduate), and the maximum you can take without petitioning for an exception is 19. The expectation is usually that for each credit, you spend somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours per week in class, so a 19 credit semester would be somewhere around 19-28.5 hours per week in class, plus around twice that in work done out of class (homework, labs, studying, etc).

Physics news on Phys.org
eXorikos said:
Finally I see there is a huge difference in credit system. For us, every credit is supposed to be a workload of around 30hours total. A semester is 13 weeks classes, 1 week of studying before the exams and 3 weeks exams. So 17 weeks for a total of 900hours gives 52hours per week working for your classes.

Unless the class is a Lecture/Lab or just Lab class (which usually means much more class/lab time than what you are normally given credit for) MOST courses require the same amount of "lecture time."

In the U.S., the quarter system (Fall-Winter-Spring 10 weeks of instruction + 1 finals week) USUALLY gives you 4 units per class, so the average class load of 3-5 classes translate to 12-20 units. In the semester system (Fall-Spring, 16 weeks of instruction + 1 finals week), you are USUALLY given 3 units per class, so the average class load of 3-5 classes translates to 9-16 units.

Minimum Units to graduate in the quarter system are usually 180 (depending on major and school of course) and 120 I believe in the semester system.

I've been in both systems before and I am not quite sure which is harder. I find it very hard to take more than 4 real, serious classes a quarter, but I don't find taking 6 semester classes hard at all (granted, I've only done semesters at a community college, and have only done quarters at universities).

I often see people on here listing these crazy schedules with crazy amounts of classes and wonder how the hell any of them do it. But then I forget that most people are on a semester system and the receive about 3-4 hours worth of material/class time a week per class, while we usually get 4-5 hours worth of material/class time a week per class, so that extra hour for every class can translate into a whole extra class.

In the end, number and type of classes is more indicative of the heaviness of course load than simply counting units.

ECmathstudent said:
Right now my semester is looking like:

O.D.E.
Elementary Number Theory
Problem Solving(basically Putnam training)
Numerical Analysis
Intro to computer science

I'm not sure how it'll go, it could be too slack; or quite difficult. Definitely need to put work in on ode's after I slacked off in my last calc course.

Well, from my experience with Number Theory, that class will probably take up a lot of time, not because the concepts are hard, but because you may not have ever had to think the way you will have to in order to answer the problems. Unless you have had a course like Real Analysis, or some other VERY HEAVILY proof based course, Number Theory will be very new for you, and hopefully lots of fun. I notice however, that your course is called Elementary Number Theory, so maybe there won't be an emphasis on proofs (which would be too bad). Also, I hope you have a better Numerical Analysis class than I did. Mine was a joke.

My Fall 2011 Schedule:
Writing (English course)
Physics 3 (Calculus-based): Waves, Optics, and Sound
Experimental Physics Lab 1 (Modern Physics)
Intro to Digital Systems

Possible Winter 2012 Schedule:
Writing
Modern Physics 1
Experimental Physics Lab 2
Intro to Digital Systems Lab
Network Analysis 1

kylem said:
What's this?

It's a course that my University set up since we are about an hour away from Canada. It's suppose to be about the history, business, and culture aspects of Canada.. In the course every three weeks the class will go to a main city of Canada and explore the highlights of the city and have meetings with companies located there. I guess it will be good for me since I haven't been able to travel outside New Yok yet in my life but I'm trying.

xicor said:
It's a course that my University set up since we are about an hour away from Canada. It's suppose to be about the history, business, and culture aspects of Canada.. In the course every three weeks the class will go to a main city of Canada and explore the highlights of the city and have meetings with companies located there. I guess it will be good for me since I haven't been able to travel outside New Yok yet in my life but I'm trying.

Strange. Is it required? Anyway, it sounds like a good time. Wish I had intro to Canada... I think my school offers "Intro to Corn Fields."

Fall 2011:

Introduction to Astrophysics
General Chemistry II
Physics III
Calculus III
Differential Equations
Introduction to Linear Algebra

Fall 2011:
-Advanced Calculus I (Intro to Real Analysis I)
-Abstract Algebra I
-Advanced Linear Algebra (Grad class)
-Differential Equations
-Techniques of Problem Solving
-Introduction to Communications

Spring 2012 (Early, but I figured I'd post it anyway):
-Advanced Calculus II
-Abstract Algebra II
-Introduction to Complex Analysis
-Number Theory
-Technical Writing

Chaostamer said:
Fall 2011:
-Advanced Calculus I (Intro to Real Analysis I)
-Abstract Algebra I
-Advanced Linear Algebra (Grad class)
-Differential Equations
-Techniques of Problem Solving
-Introduction to Communications

Spring 2012 (Early, but I figured I'd post it anyway):
-Advanced Calculus II
-Abstract Algebra II
-Introduction to Complex Analysis
-Number Theory
-Technical Writing
You're either lying or insane! There's no way I would even make it out of the first semester with a sufficient GPA to continue.

TylerH said:
You're either lying or insane! There's no way I would even make it out of the first semester with a sufficient GPA to continue.

I'm a little bit of the latter, I'm sure, but neither semester is quite as bad as it looks. In the Fall, only the first three classes are really going to be difficult. Differential Equations is a low-level, nonrigorous course that I'm actually retaking in order to replace a mediocre grade from last year. Since my job is running supplemental instruction sessions for Calculus II, that sort of math comes very easily to me now, so I don't expect it'll take much effort. Problem Solving is a one-credit course and Communications is the consummate gen-ed. It should be okay.

Spring might actually be a bit trickier, but Complex Analysis is supposed to be fairly easy and I'm great in writing-based classes, so I'm sure I'll manage.

Intermediate Mechanics
Introductory Thermodynamics
Experimental Methods in Physics
Calc III
Ordinary Differential Equations

National history (every single person studying in this country has to take this one)
Real analysis 1
Algebra 1 (graduate)
Applied math
Creative writing (maybe for fun)

Complex Analysis (grad)
Galois Theory (grad)

Senior year!

8.321 Quantum Theory 1 (Grad)
8.333 Statistical Physics 1 (grad)
18.384 Seminar in Physical Mathematics (undergrad)
6.336J Introduction to Numerical Methods (grad)
21M.030 Intro to World Music (undergrad)

Sophomoric Year: Strange registration policies here mean I don't need to pick an exact schedule till the second week of school.

Classes I am definitely taking:
Intermediate Turkish I
Intro. to Algebra
Intro. to Analysis

Classes I am thinking about:
Classical Mechanics (Physics) or Introduction to Mathematical Mechanics (Math: Symplectic Geometry and all that)
Statistical Mechanics or some other random physics class
Some History or Social Science Course

Fall Schedule:
Japanese 1001-introductory Japanese *shrug* should be fun
English 1102-second semester English class...bleh
Comp Sci 2301-Java based programming
Astronomy 3321-Solar System
Math 4361-Abstract Algebra (Groups, Rings, Fields etc)
Math 4381-Real Analysis
Phys 4490-Directed Studies in Quantum Field Theory (Rhyder book and Schroeder book is what he told me)

Should be fun ^^ The only classes that are going to be any work are the last three and I already know a decent bit of Abstract Algebra so the course should hopefully just teach me how to be rigorous. I may drop Real Analysis if I'm feeling weak =|

Summer is going well with:
Diff Eqs :)
Calc III zzzz
Linear Algebra zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
English 1 =/
Health XD

This is the problem with going to a small school x.x'...hoping to transfer soon though~

eXorikos said:
Advanced Nuclear Physics
Nuclear Energy
Solid State Physics I (the first graduate course on solid state)
Astrophysics
Lasers and laserspectroscopy
Quantum Field Theory (not 100% sure I will take this or a course to prepare for a postgraduate on nuclear engineering)

I study nuclear physics btw. :)
Daaaaaaaaaaang X.x I'm jealous
What kind of school do you go to? XD

Good luck with that schedule ^^;

Elwin.Martin said:

I go to the University of Leuven in Belgium.

eXorikos said:
I go to the University of Leuven in Belgium.

I got a friend there :) Sounds like an awesome school.

Addendum to my schedule: Looks like I'm not going to be able to do the one I posted. Instead:

Intro to aerospace engineering
Intro to programming in MATLAB
Statics
Diff EQ's
Technical writing for aerospace engineers

Angry Citizen said:

Addendum to my schedule: Looks like I'm not going to be able to do the one I posted. Instead:

Statics
Diff EQ's

This is cool Angry Citizen. Since I'm going to be in school an extra semester, I was thinking of ditching intro speech this fall and picking up C++ instead. so it will look like

Physics with calculus I
Calculus III
Chem and qualitative analysis II
C++

I'm having a difficult time choosing between C and C++, and I wonder if I should take stats or just teach myself.

Angry Citizen said:

Statics
Diff EQ's

Are you enrolled at TU Delft?

I can't speak for other departments, but the department of nuclear and radiation physics is awesome in Leuven. Is he a physics student? I might know him then.

Elwin.Martin said:

Don't get jealous just yet...save it for this...
He (or she, sorry eXorikos impolite to assume) has worked at CERN! *faints*

eXorikos said:
Are you enrolled at TU Delft?

I can't speak for other departments, but the department of nuclear and radiation physics is awesome in Leuven. Is he a physics student? I might know him then.

She's actually a political science grad student. Not a math nerd like us :D

And no, I actually attend The University of Texas in Austin. Gonna be my first year there :)

Thermodynamics
Circuits 1
Dynamics
Mechanics of Materials
Introduction to Nuclear Engineering
Careers in Mechanical Engineering

Electromagnetic Fields I (intermediate EM)
Classical Mechanics I (intermediate CM)
Applied Linear Algebra
World Religions
Chinese-Mandarin 3

Total: 17 hours

I start my physics major in this fall.

My summer schedule is light but still a bit challenging. I never studied calculus before.

Engl 112 - To help credits for another course to transfer.
MA201 - business calculus - It was the only calculus course at my campus over the summer.
Calculus I and II - independent study. I finished Differential before i started the MA 201 so the class is super easy.
I will test out of these two with CLEP in August.

Fall
-Mechanics with Cal - This could be a lab credit instead. I plan to attempt a test out.
-Calculus III
-American History II
- Ger 101
- C programming

Next Spring
- E&M honors
-Vector Cal
-Intro to Nuclear Engineering
-Chemistry I
-Research in Physics

Possibly suicidal?

Scientific Computing
Intermediate Physics Lab
E&M I
Quantum Mechanics
Undergrad Research
English

lubuntu said:
Possibly suicidal?

Scientific Computing
Intermediate Physics Lab
E&M I
Quantum Mechanics
Undergrad Research
English

yes, maybe lol.
Which btw, what is your schools intermediate Physics lab about? Optics?
Is E&M I - intermediate E&M?

Fall 2011-Spring 2012~Senior Year (some lower level courses i skipped mixed in)

Electromagnetism I & II
Quantum Mechanics I & II
Thermodynamics
Computer Science and programming
Biochemistry
Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences :eek:

Fall 2011:

Biochemistry I
Molecular Biology (with Lab)
Analytical Chemistry (with Lab)
Organic Chemistry II (with Lab)
Independent Research
Biology Honors Thesis Writing
(Making sure I work at my job less than 20 hours per week)
(Stressing out over grad school applications due to a poor first attempt at college 6 years ago and a recent bad grade.)

Survey of Multivariable Calc
Numerical Analysis
Fundamentals of Applied Math
Intermediate Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics

Rather embarrassing to post my schedule, considering it's only my second semester in school... Especially at the age of 23 - haha

Chem 1
Intro to Engineering
Algebra/Trig
Government
Engineering design

(EE is my major)

Since I'm Australian, Autumn here means March-June and Spring means July-November.

Autumn (which is now gone)

STAT335 Sample Surveys and Experimental Design
STAT304 Applied Probability and Financial Risk
MATH325 Wavelets
INFO412 Mathematics for Cryptography

Spring

MATH324 Calculus of Variations and Geometry
MATH202 Differential Equations 2
STAT232 Estimation and Hypothesis Testing
STAT373 Special Topics in Probability (Applied Bayesian Inference)

chiro said:
Since I'm Australian, Autumn here means March-June and Spring means July-November.

Autumn (which is now gone)

STAT335 Sample Surveys and Experimental Design
STAT304 Applied Probability and Financial Risk
MATH325 Wavelets
INFO412 Mathematics for Cryptography

Spring

MATH324 Calculus of Variations and Geometry
MATH202 Differential Equations 2
STAT232 Estimation and Hypothesis Testing
STAT373 Special Topics in Probability (Applied Bayesian Inference)

UoW I presume?

Eldar said:
UoW I presume?

Yep that's the one.