What Summer Projects Can I Do with My Programming Knowledge and College Courses?

In summary, Michael Courtney suggests that Michael should learn a more powerful programming language, like Java, to help exercise his logic, and Michael Courtney suggests that Michael should look into data structures to help him with data mining projects.
Specimen
Hi,

Well since its almost nearing summer. I was planning on doing something constructive for it ... do you have any suggestions as to what I could do?

Well as of now, the only thing I feel I know a bit about is Programming, is there some way I could use my programming knowledge to unite the courses I've taken?

The courses I took this year are:
-Intro to Biology, Intro to Chemistry
-Physics : Electricity/ Magnetism and EM Waves (One-course) / Mechanics
-Math : Linear Algebra / Introductory Calculus (Integration & Differenciation) / Differential Equations and Infinite Series
-Programming : Introductory C++ ( covered arrays / file-input/output / functions / simulation(lot much) )

Rather than just learning something, I'd like to do something (while learning?) this way I can create something too cause otherwise when I just learn something I feel I forget it after a while and need to brush up again on it.

I'm looking to really do something alone rather than speak with a professor, as I think I don't really have enough knowledge to help-out a professor and I'd really hate to keep asking them for direction.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can learn yourself more about C++ and see if you can find something about computational science projects. Otherwise I have a cool project for you to learn object oriented programming, but the instructions only exists in swedish :(

But you can search abit on course pages for obejct oriented programming in your language if you like.

Thats my tips if you want to learn more about programming.

Maybe have a look at another type of language, like script programming? (Pyton, pearl)

Learn to numerically integrate the differential equations that represent some simple (but non-trivial) dynamical systems. Investigate how the dynamics changes as parameters are tweaked. The three-body gravitational system can be interesting, depending on the relative masses. A single particle moving in a -1/(r + a) + bz potential is also interesting.

There are a lot of non-separable two dimensional potentials that are fun projects.

Michael Courtney

I second the idea to keep learning c++ it will be an invaluable technique. If you can learn to use c++ to do numerical analysis that would be wonderful but it may be over your head. I myself do not know much about it as I use either Maple or Mathematica.

You could also branch out into another programing language. An object oriented language would be best. Try Java on for size, if not that then perhaps python?

Programing is a great skill to have, and being "fluent" in it is even better, and also more so if you can understand more than one language

Hmm, thanks all for your replies

Michael - I must confess I didn't quite understand your post (One of the reasons I didn't want to approach a professor ...)

mgiddy - Hmm, yes I was considering Java as I hear its a 2nd year course ... seems like a good idea to work on this cause I think it will help exercise my logic ...

coding in general helps your logic as you want to learn to write code that is logical and easy to read.

Java will take some getting used to but I think (this is my opinion) you will feel that you have a lot more control or that it is a lot more powerful being object oriented. It certainly helps in organization and recycling as you learn to write separate classes for the tasks at hand. Those can easily be reused and reimplemented in other code later on.

Specimen : You can google the things that you don't understand. And you can ask in detail WHAT is you don't understand, instead of: "I didn't quite understand" then nothing more.

One thing you can use to test your C++ knowledge is via topcoder ( http://www.topcoder.com ) . They hold approximately weekly competitions that take like an hour and a half where you are given a set of small problems that you must code a solution to. Check it out; I have been a member for years now, and it's a good way to keep sharp with C++.

Malawi - First off thanks for your input earlier. I'm aware of the power of Google, I just confessed that it didn't really make much of any sense to me (without breaking it down and searching for answers) initially ... and it wasn't directed at you.

mgiddy - True, I do feel I need to work on my logic, I checked the 2nd year course and it deals with Data Structures, I've heard of amazing applications for them like Data Mining et c ..

I know you don't feel comfortable bugging a professor with questions, but you have to remember that it's their job. If they don't think they have anything that you can do without spending too much of their time guiding you, they'll tell you, no hard feelings. Eventually you'll find someone who's willing to help though.

Specimen said:
I'm looking to really do something alone rather than speak with a professor, as I think I don't really have enough knowledge to help-out a professor and I'd really hate to keep asking them for direction.

Any ideas?

You should still go to a professor to find a project. It is their responsibility to give you something easy enough that you won't need constant help. Science is not done by solitary individuals in isolation. By not working with a professor, postdoc or their students you are throwing away a tremendous resource. Plus working on research under the supervision of a professor will go along ways when you need a reference in the future. A reference built on a research project where you were not just another face in the class will help a great, great deal.

Will and David - thanks for your inputs, hmm ... all right let's see after my exams I will approach a few professors for sure. I'm not hesistant of being no, what I am more anxious about is being given a project and unable to complete it. Maybe, its just a stupid subconsciousthing ... but I do feel I"m really slow at grasping concepts and since these people are going to be teaching me throughout the years, I'm a bit hesistant ... nonetheless, the point about having them as my reference later on is a solid one.

1. What are some good summer project ideas for kids?

Some good summer project ideas for kids include building a lemonade stand, creating a backyard obstacle course, making homemade ice cream, or building a birdhouse. These projects allow kids to be creative and learn new skills while having fun outdoors.

2. Can you suggest some science-related summer projects for teenagers?

Some science-related summer projects for teenagers include conducting experiments such as testing the effects of different types of music on plant growth, building a solar-powered oven, or creating a homemade lava lamp. These projects can help teenagers explore their interests in science and develop critical thinking skills.

3. Are there any summer projects that can help protect the environment?

Yes, there are many summer projects that can help protect the environment. Some ideas include starting a community garden, organizing a beach or park clean-up, or building a rainwater collection system. These projects can help promote sustainability and raise awareness about environmental issues.

4. How can I make my summer project more educational?

To make your summer project more educational, you can incorporate elements of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) into your project. This can include researching and learning about the science behind your project, using technology to enhance your project, or incorporating art and math concepts into the design and execution of your project.

5. Are there any summer project ideas for adults?

Yes, there are many summer project ideas for adults. Some suggestions include starting a garden, learning a new skill such as woodworking or pottery, or taking on a DIY home renovation project. These projects can provide a sense of accomplishment and relaxation during the summer months.