Summer Research After First Year.

In summary, the person is a freshman mechanical engineering major who is not satisfied with the summer internships they applied for. They want to contact local professors to assist with their work during the summer and are asking for advice on how to do so. The conversation also includes a discussion on whether it is a good idea for freshmen to do research and how to approach professors for opportunities. The speaker suggests reaching out to professors at their university and seeking recommendations from others. They also mention that while freshmen may not have as much experience, they can still contribute through "grunt work" and can become valuable members of the research group in the long run.
WatermelonPig
Yo,

I'm a freshman mechanical engineering major. I applied to 5 summer internships, but I am really not feeling it at all. I think I should start contacting some Profs. at some local universities (including mine) about assisting them with their work this summer. I just want to do something interesting this summer. How should I go about doing this? I plan to shotgun this and send maybe 50 emails.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad idea. Freshman really aren't useful for getting research done (most undergrads aren't, even many grad students aren't all that useful) so any prof taking you on would be doing you a big favor. You need to make personal contact with a prof and convince them that taking you on isn't going to be a waste of their time. Start with the professors you know, and if they can't take you, ask for them to recommend someone who might.

eri said:
Bad idea. Freshman really aren't useful for getting research done (most undergrads aren't, even many grad students aren't all that useful) so any prof taking you on would be doing you a big favor. You need to make personal contact with a prof and convince them that taking you on isn't going to be a waste of their time. Start with the professors you know, and if they can't take you, ask for them to recommend someone who might.

This is half right. I would say that it is a bad idea to shoot out 50 emails to random profs. Rather, email professors at your university. It's not necessary that you had them (though that would help). You can ask around to older students or academic advisors about which professors would be open to taking you on.

What is wrong about what eri said is that freshman are useless. While they are obviously less capable, they do have a role. There is "grunt work" that needs to be done. Also, if you are planning to actually stay at the lab for the duration of your undergrad life then getting an early start can be valuable to the research group. By the time you get into your latter years of undergrad you will have a great head start and will become very valuable.

1. What is "Summer Research After First Year"?

"Summer Research After First Year" refers to research opportunities for undergraduate students after their first year of college. These programs allow students to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of study and work closely with faculty mentors.

2. Why is it important to participate in summer research after the first year of college?

Participating in summer research after the first year of college can provide valuable experience and skills that can enhance a student's academic and professional development. It can also help students explore their interests and potentially solidify their career goals.

3. How can I find summer research opportunities after my first year of college?

There are various ways to find summer research opportunities after your first year of college. You can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors, as they may know of research projects or programs that are available. You can also search online databases, attend career fairs or networking events, and reach out to companies or organizations directly.

4. What are the benefits of participating in summer research after the first year of college?

Participating in summer research after the first year of college can provide numerous benefits, such as gaining hands-on experience in a specific field, building relationships with faculty mentors and peers, improving critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and enhancing your resume and graduate school applications.

5. Are there any requirements or qualifications for participating in summer research after the first year of college?

The requirements and qualifications for summer research opportunities after the first year of college may vary depending on the program or project. Some programs may require a minimum GPA, while others may have specific majors or coursework requirements. It is important to carefully read the program details and application requirements to determine if you are eligible to apply.