Sunlight falls on a concave mirror, where is the image formed?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the location of an image formed by a concave mirror when given the distance of the object and the image's height. The lens/mirror equation is used to calculate the image's location, and a ray diagram can be drawn to double-check the answer. The final answer is 4 cm, and the conversation also mentions the use of graph paper and a straight edge for accurate ray diagrams.
imatreyu

Homework Statement

Sunlight falls on a concave mirror and forms an image 3.0 cm from the mirror. If an object 24 mm high is placed 12.0 cm from the mirror, where will its image be formed?

a. Use a ray diagram
b. Use the lens/ mirror equation
c. How high is the image?

Homework Equations

(1/f)= (1/di) + (1/do)

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that in the case of the sun, all rays of sunlight are essentially parallel to the principle axis because of the huge distance between the sun and the earth, I assume that all light of the sum converge at the focal point. Thus, the image's location as formed by the sun marks the focal point of the mirror. Therefore, f= 3cm, di= ?, do=12cm.

I use the lens/mirror equation:
(1/f)= (1/di) + (1/do)
1/3cm = (1/di) + 1/12cm
1/4cm = 1/di
di= 4 cm

Consulting the ray diagram that I drew, I see that the image would be inverted and is between the focal point and the object's location .. .

^ Is that correct?
If so, is it possible to find this value simply by drawing a not-to-scale diagram?
I don't understand how I can use a ray diagram. . .

I'm so confused; thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
imatreyu said:
If so, is it possible to find this value simply by drawing a not-to-scale diagram?
I don't understand how I can use a ray diagram. . .

If you want to find the actual values using a ray diagram, keep things to scale. This would be a good time for graph paper and a straight edge. And since you have to draw the ray diagram anyway, you can use it double check your answer you found using the equation. :tongue:

Your coursework might have some examples of ray diagrams to follow. An Internet search on Ray Diagrams for Mirrors might prove fruitful too (for example purposes).

Oh, okay, thank you! I'll do that now. . .

Well, I did it. . .and it seems to verify my answer as 4 cm. . .

I hope this is right!

imatreyu said:
Well, I did it. . .and it seems to verify my answer as 4 cm. . .

I hope this is right!

Seems okay to me! :approve:

Yess! Thank you! :D

1. Where is the image formed when sunlight falls on a concave mirror?

The image is formed on the focal point of the concave mirror.

2. Is the image formed on the same side as the object when sunlight falls on a concave mirror?

Yes, the image is formed on the same side as the object when sunlight falls on a concave mirror.

3. How does the shape of the concave mirror affect the position of the image?

The shape of the concave mirror affects the position of the image by causing it to be larger or smaller, depending on the distance between the object and the mirror.

4. Can the image formed by sunlight on a concave mirror be projected onto a screen?

Yes, the image formed by sunlight on a concave mirror can be projected onto a screen by placing the screen at the focal point of the mirror.

5. How does the angle of incidence of sunlight affect the position and size of the image on a concave mirror?

The angle of incidence of sunlight affects the position and size of the image by changing the distance between the object and the mirror, and thus changing the position and size of the image formed on the focal point.