Super-Earths around binary dwarf stars

In summary: Sorry I got carried away.All forms of communication would not function on a planet with a magnetosphere like Earth's. Longwave, shortwave, and hyperspace radio would be the only forms of communication. Local comm systems would not function.
RyderP
I may be writing a story, set on a rocky planet, 15 times the size of Earth, around a binary dwarf star (one red, one orange). What kind of flora and fauna can I expect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the flora and fauna will vary depending on the type of vegetation you choose i.e. if you want the time-honoured traditional slimy one-eyed species or want to create something fresh, new and unconventional.

Actually, I want something a little more true to life.

On the other hand, how about combining Star Wars, Space: 1889, and D&D?

I also know thar the sky will, most likely, be orange.

And, how about these races:

Human

Elf

Half Elf

Halfling

Ogre

Gnome

Dwarf

Goblin

How about this for a currency:

15 florins = 1 ducat

30 ducats = 1 kreutzer

Electrum = 1

Copper = 3

Silver = 5

Gold = 10

Sorry I got carried away.

RyderP said:
And, how about these races:

Human

Elf

Half Elf

Halfling

Ogre

Gnome

Dwarf

Goblin
Add the Todi (insectoids) and the Morrix (delphinoids).
shihab-kol said:
Well, the flora and fauna will vary depending on the type of vegetation you choose i.e. if you want the time-honoured traditional slimy one-eyed species or want to create something fresh, new and unconventional.

How much gravity can I expect from a planet orbiting a red and an orange dwarf star?

RyderP said:
How much gravity can I expect from a planet orbiting a red and an orange dwarf star?
Gravity of a planet does not depend on the type of the parent star(s).
All that matters is its size and density. So...
RyderP said:
15 times the size of Earth
If you mean 15 times the radius, and assume the same or very similar composition, then it'd by 15 times Earth's gravity. At that size, the planet would also be unlikely to be a terrestial planet any more. It would likely be a dwarf star itself, actually.

However, if you mean 15 times the surface area, then the planet would be approx 4 times larger than Earth in terms of radius, and with 4 times the gravity. You could fudge the density a bit to bring the gravity to about 3g, but anything lower than that would be improbable.

As a rule of thumb, you get as many times higher/lower gravity as many times the planet (its radius) is larger/smaller than Earth's.

How much could you reduce gravity at the equator by having the planet rotate very fast? Perhaps due to a collision 10 million years ago. You'd then have an obviously non round planet, and lots of heavier elements in the crust.

So, 3G's okay?

And, what about the magnetosphere?

Bandersnatch said:
Gravity of a planet does not depend on the type of the parent star(s).
All that matters is its size and density. So...

If you mean 15 times the radius, and assume the same or very similar composition, then it'd by 15 times Earth's gravity. At that size, the planet would also be unlikely to be a terrestial planet any more. It would likely be a dwarf star itself, actually.

However, if you mean 15 times the surface area, then the planet would be approx 4 times larger than Earth in terms of radius, and with 4 times the gravity. You could fudge the density a bit to bring the gravity to about 3g, but anything lower than that would be improbable.

As a rule of thumb, you get as many times higher/lower gravity as many times the planet (its radius) is larger/smaller than Earth's.

You can use the surface gravity equation
g = 4π/3 × G ×ρ × r
Four thirds pi times gravitational constant times density times radius. So a planet with Earth's density, 5514 kg/m3, and 15x radius you get:
g = 4.19 × 6.674 10-11× 5514 × (15 ×6371000) = 147.
Which is also 15x Earth's gravity.

However, that rule of thumb does not work. Saturn has around 1g and radius 10x Earth's radius because Saturn is has a lot of hydrogen and Earth has a lot of iron. Jupiter has a lot of hydrogen too but 15x radius and 2.5x gravity. Mars has 0.38g and 0.5 radius and is similar to Earth in composition. Mercury comes close to your thumb with .38g and .38 radius but only because Mercury has more iron and Earth has a lot of oxygen and silicon.

A 15x radius iron planet will compress the electrons in the core. A planet made out of the same materials as Earth does has a much higher density.

Likes |Glitch|
RyderP said:
So, 3G's okay?
3g is acceptable. Magnetosphere should not be a problem.

stefan r said:
However, that rule of thumb does not work.
It works for terrestial planets - i.e. under the somewhat stretched assumption of Earth's density. If you want to add density to the mix, then it's another simple linear relationship.

I was thinking of making the magnetosphere of the planet more like what Earth's would have been, if Tesla had his way.

So that only longwave, shortwave, and hyperspace radio work. And local comm systems are provided by direct use of the magnetosphere.

make it strong enough to allow superconductor speeder bikes.

And make glass glow, while we're at it. Why not?

doesn;t all glass glow when you shine lights on it?

edit, I forgot your original plan. Your dwarfs should have supercondutive armor plates. than they can float.

I'm afraid I don't understand your edit.

RyderP said:
I'm afraid I don't understand your edit.
You said you have dwarfs. All dwarfs must have armor.

1. What are "Super-Earths" and how are they different from regular Earth?

"Super-Earths" are exoplanets that have a mass and size larger than Earth, but smaller than gas giants like Neptune or Jupiter. They are often rocky in composition, like Earth, but have a higher gravity due to their larger size.

2. How do we know if a "Super-Earth" is orbiting a binary dwarf star?

Scientists use various methods to detect exoplanets, including the transit method, radial velocity method, and direct imaging. The transit method involves observing the dimming of a star's light as a planet passes in front of it, while the radial velocity method looks for slight shifts in the star's motion caused by the gravitational pull of a planet. Direct imaging uses telescopes to capture images of the planet itself. By using these methods, scientists can determine if a "Super-Earth" is orbiting a binary dwarf star.

3. Are "Super-Earths" around binary dwarf stars potentially habitable?

It is possible for a "Super-Earth" around a binary dwarf star to be habitable, but it depends on various factors such as the planet's atmosphere, distance from the star, and the star's stability. Some binary dwarf stars can have frequent flares and strong radiation, making it difficult for life to exist on planets in their habitable zones.

4. How common are "Super-Earths" around binary dwarf stars?

"Super-Earths" around binary dwarf stars are relatively common, with studies estimating that around 20% of binary star systems may have at least one "Super-Earth" orbiting them. However, more research and data is needed to accurately determine the frequency of these types of exoplanets.

5. Could there be multiple "Super-Earths" around a single binary dwarf star?

Yes, it is possible for a binary dwarf star to have multiple "Super-Earths" orbiting it. In fact, a recent study found a binary star system with three "Super-Earths" in orbit. However, the exact number of "Super-Earths" that can exist in a single binary system is not yet known, as it depends on various factors and further research is needed.