1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductor Ginzburg-Landau model

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why is it that for a superconductor [itex]\alpha<0,\beta>0[/itex] in the Ginzburg-Landau model wit free energy formulation
    [tex]E=\int d^3x\,\, \frac{\vec B^2}{2\mu}+\frac{1}{2m}|(-i\hbar\nabla-e\vec A)\psi|^2+\alpha|\psi|^2+\beta|\psi|^4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E=\int d^3x\,\, \frac{\vec B^2}{2\mu}+\frac{1}{2m}|(-i\hbar\nabla-e\vec A)\psi|^2+\alpha|\psi|^2+\beta|\psi|^4[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start! perhaps it has to do with some critical temperature?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2
    [itex]\beta >0[/itex], otherwise the free energy could be minimized by [itex]|\psi |\rightarrow \infty [/itex]. This may not be obviously unphysical, but the Ginzburg-Landau model does after all aim to model the phase transition around [itex]|\psi |=0 [/itex].

[itex]\alpha <0[/itex], then. The parameter [itex]\alpha [/itex] is indeed related to the critical temperature, but you don't need to look at the temperature dependence here. Just consider the simpler case with [itex]\vec{A}=0[/itex] and [itex]\nabla \psi \approx 0[/itex] and minimize the free energy. This will give you the sign. Of course, you'll probably have to extend the arguments a bit, to account for the inhomogeneous case and non-zero vector potentials, but that's the basic idea anyway.

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Thanks, Hypersphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted