Superconductors and moving/accelerating charges

In summary, superconductors repel magnetic fields due to the Meissner effect, which is a result of the movement of charge carriers known as Cooper pairs. Trying to understand superconductivity through classical trajectories or accelerating charges will not be helpful, as Cooper pairs are fundamentally non-classical objects.
sol47739
TL;DR Summary
I have some questions about the charges within the superconductor and how they is set in motion and whether or not the charges within a superconductor can accelerate, and if not why not? Because I suppose that would mean applied force and destruction of the superconducting state. But if yes why? And does that acceleration emit photons? I assume no because the superconductor is a condensate(collective ground state, and the ground state can't emit photons).
How do one get the electrons to move inside a superconductor? Since I have understood superconductors repel magnetic fields due to the Meissner effect, or is that when the charges already are moving within the superconductor? If so how did we get them o move from the beginning?

Can you make charges accelerate within a superconductor? If yes how? Or will the applied force to make the charges accelerate destroy the superconducting state of the system? And if they can accelerate will they then emit photons, as normal accelerating charges?

If you know some good literature for these topics, please attach it, I would appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Classical "charges" is the wrong way to thinking about it, The charge carriers are Cooper pairs, which are fundamentally non-classical objects. Discussing classical trajectories will hinder rather than help understanding.

Vanadium 50 said:
Classical "charges" is the wrong way to thinking about it, The charge carriers are Cooper pairs, which are fundamentally non-classical objects. Discussing classical trajectories will hinder rather than help understanding.
Thanks for clarifying! From a perspective of Cooper pairs how would you answer my questions?

The same way - they don't have classical trajectories either. (And you can't easily say "that electron over there makes a Cooper pair with this electron right here". QM isn't like that)

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This allows for the flow of current without any energy loss, making it highly efficient for various applications.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without any resistance, due to the formation of Cooper pairs. These pairs of electrons are able to move freely without any collisions, resulting in zero resistance and perfect conductivity.

3. What are the practical applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have various practical applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, in particle accelerators, and in high-speed trains. They also have potential uses in energy storage and transmission, as well as in quantum computing.

4. Can superconductors be used for moving or accelerating charges?

Yes, superconductors can be used for moving or accelerating charges. In fact, they are often used in particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions. Superconducting wires can also be used to create powerful electromagnets for use in various applications.

5. What are the challenges in using superconductors for moving or accelerating charges?

One of the main challenges in using superconductors for moving or accelerating charges is the need for extremely low temperatures. The critical temperature for most superconductors is below -200°C, which requires specialized cooling systems. Additionally, the cost of producing and maintaining superconducting materials can be high, making it a challenge for widespread use in certain applications.