Supergravity and local symmetry

In summary: In fact, 't Hooft and Veltmann who proved renormalizability for gauge theories were actually interested in gravity, and were using gauge theories as a "warm-up" problem. Some warm-up, eh?! Coleman-Mandula theorem means that gravity is unique, and can't be reduced to a combination of other theories. Coleman-Mandula theorem means that gravity is unique, and can't be reduced to a combination of other theories.
masudr
In chapter 4 of Bailin & Love, Supersymmetric gauge field theory and string theory, the authors state that supersymmetry is considered a global symmetry, and we can separately consider it to be a local symmetry. Further, since the supersymmetry algebra contains [itex]P^\mu[/itex], the generator of translations, we would also get local translation invariance, and this is a theory of gravitation, as per GR, and is called supergravity.

I just wanted to ask, that the Poincaré algebra also contains the generator of translations (of course), and if we take that to be a local symmetry, do we just get GR plain and simple? Or something else?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully I understood your question. You get SUPER GR. This is what supergravity is :) That's why people were so excited about SUGRA in the 1980's. Just by assuming supersymmetry, and demanding that it be a local symmetry, you automatically get GR.

Also, check out a book by Binetruy. That is the best SUSY/SUGRA book I've found. And depending on what you want out of your reading, you can also check out Terning's book, which is largely available for free on spires. (It's more or less his 2001 TASI lectures.)

Yes! Gravity can be thought of as a "gauge theory with gauge group being the Poincare group." Furthermore, thanks to Coleman-Mandula theorem, it is unique!

BenTheMan: I think you mean John's TASI-2002 lectures (?)

blechman said:
Yes! Gravity can be thought of as a "gauge theory with gauge group being the Poincare group."

Is there any treatment where GR has been developed in the way we normally deal with non-Abelian gauge fields?

masudr said:
Is there any treatment where GR has been developed in the way we normally deal with non-Abelian gauge fields?

sure, the notion goes back to the beginnings of gauge theory. In fact, 't Hooft and Veltmann who proved renormalizability for gauge theories were actually interested in gravity, and were using gauge theories as a "warm-up" problem. Some warm-up, eh?!

A very good, but very advanced book that attacks GR in this way is Tomas Ortin's text "Gravity and Strings" - but it is quite a challenging text. The subject is very nontrivial. I do not know of any good introductions or review articles, unfortunately, but I'm sure there must be some out there. I'll leave it to other experts to make suggestions...

1. What is Supergravity?

Supergravity is a theory that combines the principles of gravity and super symmetry, which is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the differences between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It describes the behavior of particles with spin, such as gravitons, and is an extension of the theory of general relativity.

2. What is the importance of local symmetry in Supergravity?

Local symmetry is a crucial aspect of Supergravity as it allows for the theory to be consistent with the principles of general relativity. It also enables the theory to maintain its gauge invariance, meaning it remains unchanged under certain transformations, which is essential for the successful prediction of physical phenomena.

3. How does Supergravity explain the nature of gravity?

Supergravity describes gravity as a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive particles. It also explains the behavior of gravity on both a large and small scale, incorporating the principles of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. What are the challenges in developing a theory of Supergravity?

One of the main challenges in developing a theory of Supergravity is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved, as it requires the use of advanced mathematical concepts such as superfields and superspace. Additionally, the theory must also be consistent with experimental observations to be considered a valid scientific theory.

5. How is Supergravity related to other theories in physics?

Supergravity is closely related to other theories in physics, such as string theory and quantum gravity, as it incorporates similar principles and concepts. It is also considered a potential candidate for a unified theory of physics that can explain all fundamental forces and particles in the universe.