Superluminal transfer of information via gravity

In summary, it takes light about 8 minutes to reach Earth from the sun, and I've heard it said information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. If the sun blinked out of existence, steady stream of light indicating to you the the sun still exists would last for 8 minutes, but could you not tell the sun was gone almost instantly by the loss of gravity from the sun? The gravitational field also has to travel at the speed of light. The gravity you feel now from the sun is pulling you towards where it was 8 minutes ago.
crapola77
it takes light about 8 minutes to reach Earth from the sun, and I've heard it said information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. if the sun blinked out of existence, steady stream of light indicating to you the the sun still exists would last for 8 minutes, but could you not tell the sun was gone almost instantly by the loss of gravity from the sun?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational field also has to travel at the speed of light. The gravity you feel now from the sun is pulling you towards where it was 8 minutes ago.

jdog has given you the 'popular' reply, but it has not been proven to my knowledge, however, I don't think we would know it even in 8 minutes. Why would we? The Earth would start to move straight instead of in an ellipse. How would we know that?

star positions, communications satellites breakdowns

crapola77 said:
star positions, communications satellites breakdowns
In 8 minutes the Earth would be less than 700 meters out of place. Do you really think we could detect that small an error in the star positions in less than 8 minutes? I don't.

Communications satellites would be fine too.

Last edited:
if one were looking for it yes, it would be a sad indication of mans scientific achevment of we couldn't considering star positions have been one of the strongest underlying themes in all of science reaching as far back the first humans, if we can't predict with a high degree of accuracy the path of the Earth's orbit and when its no longer obeying laws by which we predict its orbit then I suggest the hope for the discovery of a fundamental theory of the universe is far beyond our scope, and moreover and more importantly one could design experiments to test for the speed of gravity, the real issue, which I am inclined to believe they have. Does anyone know of experimental evidence one way or the other?

crapola77 said:
if one were looking for it yes, it would be a sad indication of mans scientific achevment of we couldn't considering star positions have been one of the strongest underlying themes in all of science reaching as far back the first humans, if we can't predict with a high degree of accuracy the path of the Earth's orbit and when its no longer obeying laws by which we predict its orbit then I suggest the hope for the discovery of a fundamental theory of the universe is far beyond our scope...
Huh? That's just a big load of crapola. The largest stellar parallax we can see is about 3/4 of an arcsec over the course of a year. We certainly wouldn't be able to detect it to as we moved out of position 700m! (That would imply we could measure it on a minute-to-minute basis, as the Earth rotates fast enough for a 700m shift in a minute at moderate latitude.

Perhaps you are confusing this concept with celestial navigation, for which we could probably with high quality instruments and a stationary platform get closer than 700m, but it wouldn't be easy. That kind of accuracy on a ship, on a regular basis, would be nearly impossible.

1. What is superluminal transfer of information via gravity?

Superluminal transfer of information via gravity refers to the hypothetical concept of transmitting information faster than the speed of light using gravitational fields. It suggests that information can be sent from one point in space to another by manipulating the curvature of spacetime.

2. Is superluminal transfer of information via gravity possible?

Currently, there is no evidence or scientific theory to support the idea of superluminal transfer of information via gravity. The theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed, states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that this concept is possible.

3. What would be the implications of superluminal transfer of information via gravity?

If it were possible, superluminal transfer of information via gravity would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and could potentially revolutionize communication and space exploration. It could also have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the role of gravity in it.

4. Are there any experiments or studies being conducted to test this concept?

Currently, there are no experiments or studies being conducted to test the concept of superluminal transfer of information via gravity. This is due to the lack of evidence and theoretical support for the concept. However, scientists continue to explore and study the possibilities of faster-than-light communication using other methods.

5. Could superluminal transfer of information via gravity be used for time travel?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that superluminal transfer of information via gravity could be used for time travel. The concept is purely hypothetical and has not been proven to be possible. Time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, but it remains a topic of debate and has not been achieved in reality.