Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supernova explosion near a black hole

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    It might be stupid to think this way but it came to my mind and I wasn't able to find anything related to this on internet so please help me understanding this thing..........

Say if we have a massive star and a black hole nearby and the massive star completes its life cycle, it will end up with a supernova explosion.

So what will be the effect of the energy librated and shockwave generated by the explosion on the black hole...............does black hole will be teared apart in this explosion.

Please reply

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. The the gas and energy expelled from the explosion in the direction of the BH will form an accretion disc around the black and will fall in to be absorbed, causing it to grow in mass.

No external force will destroy a black hole.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    and what about the shockwave............

Thanks

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

From wikipedia: A shock wave (also called shock front or simply "shock") is a type of propagating disturbance. Like an ordinary wave, it carries energy and can propagate through a medium (solid, liquid, gas or plasma) or in some cases in the absence of a material medium, through a field such as the electromagnetic field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_wave

6. Jan 10, 2012 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shock waves are not much of a factor in the vacuum of space. You have occasional highly energetic collisions between widely separated particles, but, little more. Kinematics play a much larger role in denser mediums. Plasma effects dominate in space.

7. Jan 11, 2012 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The point is that a BH is not a simple physical object with a physical structure. The event horizon itself is not a physical boundary, just a virtual boundary - a mathematical surface where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. The gravitational forces within this boundary are far stronger than any amount of kinetic energy a mere supernova can throw at it. This becomes apparent when you realize that, even in principle, the matter from the supernova will never get close to the speed of light. Matter only falls in to a BH, never out.

8. Jan 11, 2012 #7
    Well Thank You for such a beautiful reply, it makes my doubt clear..........:smile:

and Thank You Drakkith and Chronos for such replies :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook