1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of harmonic oscillations

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the amplitude and phase shift of the following two superposed harmonic oscillations.

2. Relevant equations
    x1(t)=3sin(2∏t+∏/4)
    x2(t)=3cos(2∏t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok normally i would be able to do this, however one oscillation is cos and the other sin, so i can't use the trig identity for sin+sin or cos+cos. Is it possible to turn 3sin(2∏t+∏/4) into 3cos(2∏t+∏/4+∏/2) or is that invalid?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    I think you mean -π/2 there, but otherwise yep, that's fine. (Or there are similar trig identities you could use, but of course it will add up to the same thing.)

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Yeh -∏/2 is what i meant, one more question when calculating the amplitude i find that somehow the following equation is derived, A=√(A12+A22+2A1A2cos(θ21)). I don't understand how this is found?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    Bump: How do I find the amplitude, i get a phase of pi/8 and an amplitude of 5.5 but i think my amplitude is wrong, can someone check please?

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The formula above is an application of the cosine law. You can see how it applies if you consider that since both have the same frequency ##(2\pi)##, the two functions can be represented in phasor form and added as phasors.

Convert the first sin function to cosine as you have suggested previously. That makes its phase angle ##-\pi/4##. Its phasor is then a vector of length 3 with angle ##-\pi/4## from the x-axis. The second function has no phase, so it's a vector of length 3 on the x-axis. Add as you would any two vectors. You'll find that one way to find the magnitude is to apply the cosine law -- draw it, you'll see. You could also add them via the component method. Either works just fine.

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6
    Ah, that helps alot thanks very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook