Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supersymmetry - current status

Tags:
  1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    I wanted to ask wheter there is any progress when it comes to SUSY.
    Since LHC didn't find any superpartners and LUX found no neutralinos how much space does SUSY have left? I mean it can be fine tuned but that can't be done forever right?

Or is there something I don't know that improves SUSYs chances?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just more exclusions and better limits.

SUSY as a whole cannot be excluded by the LHC - but if the LHC does not find anything, the theoretical arguments for it get significantly weaker. Even now, some of the easiest models get problematic.

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    Yeah I read several papers and I'm getting a little worried.
    Not because I have some sort of emotional connection to that model but because if nothing is found funding for particle physics will probably get cut.

I just want to ask. If SUSY particles don't show up, at what point will theoretical physicist consider the model dead? Since some supersymmetric models can be pushed really far (only Kardashev civilization II would be able to rule them out).

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That's certainly an issue. I guess the ILC does not need SUSY particles to get funded as it will be the first lepton collider to study Higgs and Top, but anything beyond that does not have a good physics motivation so far.
    The planned Chinese Higgs factory (circular e+e- collider) could be interesting as well, as Chinese funding methods look a bit different.

My guess: Never.
    I'm sure you can push the scale even beyond the GUT scale in some way... :D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook