Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Supervoid/Cold Spot evidence of Hawking radiation?

1. Nov 16, 2016 #1

Could this possibly be what the inside of a blackhole looks like? aka our Universe resides in a blackhole and this area is the event horizon slowly becoming more desolate as Hawking radiation occurs on the opposite side.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No, not at all. While we can't be certain what the inside of a black hole looks like, we can be fairly certain of what it doesn't look like. More importantly, this cold spot fits the predictions of the big bang theory pretty well and there is no need to invoke speculative hypotheses to explain it.

4. Nov 16, 2016 #3
    I'm saying the big bang was the birth of super duper massive black hole in which we live

reality is stranger than fiction!

5. Nov 16, 2016 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

That's not really a good way to understand our universe.

There might be a way of interpreting our universe in such a way that it is true (it would require, for one, that the interior of black holes to be nothing like that described by General Relativity), but it has precisely zero observational effects. It certainly has nothing to do with the void you posted in the OP. Furthermore, Hawking radiation is, for all known sources, far too low in temperature for us to possibly detect at the current time (there is the unlikely possibility of primordial black holes of the right mass producing measurable Hawking radiation, but this has yet to be observed).

6. Nov 19, 2016 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"we are all inside a black hole" is not an uncommon speculation .... what sort of thing to expect of being inside a black hole would be more like this:
    http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm
    ... much of that is at A level, however, most people can skip the maths at the start and read the conclusions without getting too confused.
    You can say that - but does that make it true?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens's_razor

I am not clear on what @pittsburghjoe means by "inside a black hole" though - within the event horizon of a black hole or something?
    Other threads suggest an understanding at pop-science level if that so I don't think we can take this sort of thing for granted.

... I dunno, I read some pretty strange fiction.
    The thing about reality is that it can be demonstrated.
    The tldr B-level answer is that the supervoid mystery goes nowhere as far as demonstrating that we are currently "inside a black hole".

7. Nov 19, 2016 #6
    I'm saying it's worth investigating.

Did I, at least, make you smile with super "duper" massive black hole?

8. Nov 19, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

what is worth investigating and how did you evaluate this?
    Please be specific. This "pronoun game" thing is a waste of time.

Seriously? What would make me smile is if you showed some sign of taking advice on board.

Did you at least check out the links?
    If you will not take advice, there is no point anybody trying to help you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  9. Nov 19, 2016 #8
    It's cute that haldenwang thinks he knows what the inside of a black hole is like.

The supervoid/cold spot is worth investigating because it is out-of-place and exhibits peculiar properties that could end up being the center to the universe.

I know what you are going to say, "there is no center to the universe" ..well, I don't believe that either.

I'm imagining you flipping a table over right now. :mad:

10. Nov 19, 2016 #9

Drakkith

You can believe what you'd like, but on this forum we only discuss mainstream science, not personal opinions that go contrary to established theories.

Thread locked.

11. Nov 19, 2016 #10

PeterDonis

2016 Award

A caution: I'm not sure all of this article is correct, and some of it is certainly prone to misinterpretation. The key point for this discussion, which seems valid to me, is that there is tidal gravity inside a black hole which is not present in our standard models of cosmology; so testing for effects due to such tidal gravity on cosmological scales would be a way of experimentally distinguishing the "universe inside a black hole" model from our standard models of cosmology. (No such tidal effects have been detected in our actual universe on cosmological scales.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook