Supplementary Texts for General Physics: Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed

• Thread starter Twiddles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fundamentals of Physics (6th edition extended) as a textbook for first year students and the possibility of supplementary texts for a better understanding of modern physics and electromagnetism. The speaker recommends Fundamentals of Physics (7th edition extended) for detailed understanding and suggests Schaum's Outline of College Physics for a concise overview. They also mention the importance of clarifying what is meant by an "overview" of modern physics and EM.
Twiddles
I've been reading up on my first year textbooks(General Physics) and found some mixed reviews; we're using The Fundamentals of Physics[Extended], International 6th ed, Halliday/Resnick/Walker + Problem Supplement.

I was wondering if there are any supplementary texts worth picking up which will give me a better overview of modern physics and EM.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think Fundamentals of Physics (7th edition extended, atleast) is a pretty good textbook for getting intimate with the little details associated with everything.

However, if you want to get a hold of the big picture before delving into the details, look into some sort of outline, concise and to-the-point-but-not-fully-descriptive, such as Schaum's Outline of College Physics.

Depends on what you mean by an overview of modern physics and EM. ;)

I would recommend looking into additional supplementary texts for a better understanding of modern physics and electromagnetics. Some great options include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos. These texts provide a more in-depth and modern approach to the topics covered in "Fundamentals of Physics" and can help supplement your understanding of the subject. Additionally, seeking out online resources such as lectures and tutorials from reputable sources can also be beneficial. It's always important to seek out multiple sources of information to fully grasp complex concepts in science.

Related to Supplementary Texts for General Physics: Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed

1. What are supplementary texts for General Physics?

Supplementary texts for General Physics are additional resources that provide extra information, practice problems, and explanations to supplement the material covered in a textbook. They are designed to further enhance understanding and reinforce key concepts.

2. Why is "Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed" a commonly used textbook for General Physics?

"Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed" is a commonly used textbook for General Physics because it covers all the fundamental topics in a comprehensive and accessible manner. It also includes numerous examples, illustrations, and practice problems to help students grasp the material easily.

3. What are the benefits of using supplementary texts for General Physics?

Supplementary texts for General Physics can provide additional explanations and examples that may not be covered in the main textbook. They can also offer different perspectives and approaches to solving problems, helping students to develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

4. Are the supplementary texts for "Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed" suitable for self-study?

Yes, the supplementary texts for "Fundamentals of Physics Extended 6th Ed" are suitable for self-study. They are designed to be used alongside the main textbook and can be used by students to review and reinforce key concepts on their own.

5. Can supplementary texts for General Physics be used in conjunction with other textbooks?

Yes, supplementary texts for General Physics can be used in conjunction with other textbooks. They are intended to supplement, not replace, the main textbook and can be used to supplement any other resource that a student may be using to study General Physics.