Research topic related to extended bodies on GR

In summary, the individual is pursuing a master's degree in Physics with a focus on General Relativity, Quantum Field Theory on Curved Spacetimes, and usual Quantum Field Theory. However, due to the passing of their preferred advisor and the unavailability of other professors in their area of interest, they are now considering a project on the dynamics of extended bodies in GR, specifically using Dixon's formalism. While there is some interesting differential geometry involved, the individual feels this project may not align with their initial interests and is seeking suggestions for a research topic that is closer to fundamental physics and GR itself. They also express frustration with being told their interests do not matter and are considering transferring to a different institution.
leo.
I'm in a graduate course in Physics to obtain a master's degree. I have a major in mathematical physics and my main interests are General Relativity (GR), Quantum Field Theory on Curved Spacetimes (QFTCS), and usual Quantum Field Theory (QFT) itself.

My interest is in the fundamental physics aspects of those. I also prefer works whose objective is to study the theory itself, the formalism and the proper mathematical way to formulate the theory, derive general results and so foth. I don't have much interest in studying particular cases.

To make a long story short, I was going to work on QFTCS using the algebraic approach and probably focusing on the Unruh effect and black hole evaporation. The advisor did exactly the kind of work I like, but unfortunately he passed away, and by bureaucratic reasons, all professors who could advise on QFTCS were unavailable.

The only advisor that was available doesn't work with QFTCS. He proposed a work on the dynamics of extended bodies on GR applying Dixon's formalism derived in three articles from 1970. The main objective if I understood is going to be computing some examples, mostly toy models.

Reading the papers it seems to have some interesting differential geometry going on, but this somehow drifts from what I was interested initially. He even said that "not much GR knowledge is needed". I got the impression the work in the end boils down to learning a particular framework and solving some exercises with it with GR just on the background.

I was already said that "what I like doesn't matter", but I believe this kind of work must be a middle ground, both the advisor and student must have interest on the subject and the objectives. Furthermore, I've seem a bunch of master's thesis closer to the fundamental physics aspects and closer to the study of general structure of the theory and etc. So this isn't really a constraint of a master's thesis.

What I really wanted was QFTCS, but since this doesn't seem to be possible, I want to find a research topic inside this theme of dynamics of extended bodies in GR that ends up being closer to fundamental physics and closer to GR itself and which doesn't boil down just to applying the theory to solve some exercises. Could anyone give any suggestion of something? I believe if I find something in these lines, my advisor will agree with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not transfer? This place seems not to serve your needs.

1. What is the concept of extended bodies in General Relativity (GR)?

The concept of extended bodies in GR refers to objects that have a size and shape, as opposed to point particles. In GR, these objects are described by a stress-energy tensor, which takes into account the distribution of mass, energy, and momentum throughout the body.

2. How does GR account for the effects of extended bodies on spacetime curvature?

In GR, the presence of extended bodies affects the curvature of spacetime through the stress-energy tensor. This tensor describes the distribution of mass, energy, and momentum within the body, and its contribution to the overall curvature of spacetime is calculated through Einstein's field equations.

3. Can extended bodies cause gravitational waves in GR?

Yes, extended bodies can cause gravitational waves in GR. When an extended body undergoes a sudden and violent motion, such as a collision or merger, it can create ripples in the fabric of spacetime known as gravitational waves. These waves carry energy and momentum away from the source, causing a distortion in the surrounding spacetime.

4. How does the concept of extended bodies in GR differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, objects are often treated as point particles with no size or shape. However, in GR, the extended nature of objects is taken into account, and their contribution to the overall curvature of spacetime is considered. This leads to differences in the predicted behavior of objects under the influence of gravity, such as the precession of planetary orbits.

5. What are some current research topics related to extended bodies in GR?

Some current research topics related to extended bodies in GR include studying the effects of extended objects on the dynamics of black holes, investigating the behavior of extended bodies in the early universe, and exploring the possibility of detecting gravitational waves from collisions and mergers of extended objects. Other areas of interest include the role of extended bodies in cosmology and the implications of GR for the structure and evolution of galaxies.