Suppose a, b, c are real numbers and x,y,z>=0. Prove the following inequality

In summary, the problem involves proving that the sum of squares of real numbers divided by non-negative numbers is greater than or equal to the square of the sum of the numbers divided by the sum of the non-negative numbers. This can be approached using the Cauchy-Schwarz and Arithmetic-Geometric Mean inequalities, and a simpler version of the problem can be solved to gain insight.
Kizaru

Homework Statement

Suppose that a, b, c are real numbers and x, y, z >= 0. Prove that

[tex] \frac{a^2}{x} + \frac{b^2}{y} + \frac{c^2}{z} \geq \frac{ (a+b+c)^2}{x+y+z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Cauchy-Schwarz and Arithmetic Geometric Mean inequalities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to approach this problem. I tried brute forcing a solution by multiplying everything out to get common denominators, but that became a mess. I tried a geometric approach of two vectors but didn't get anywhere with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the tex closing tag is a / rather than backslash for the functions etc.
[tex] \frac{a^2}{x} + \frac{b^2}{y} + \frac{c^2}{z} \geq \frac{ (a+b+c)^2}{x+y+z}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure you need x, y, z > 0, otherwise the terms on the left side could be undefined.

You might try a simpler problem, such as
[tex] \frac{a^2}{x} + \frac{b^2}{y} \geq \frac{ (a+b)^2}{x+y}[/tex]

and see if you can prove that. Doing so might give you some insight on the harder problem.

In any case, proving the original statement is equivalent to proving this statement:
[tex] \frac{a^2}{x} + \frac{b^2}{y} + \frac{c^2}{z} - \frac{ (a+b+c)^2}{x+y+z}\geq 0[/tex]

I worked on this about a half page or so, but am going to quit for the night.

Err yes, it should be x,y,z > 0. I haven't touched it since last night, so I'll see where I can get with the simpler problem today.

1. What does "Suppose a, b, c are real numbers" mean?

It means that a, b, and c are numbers that can take on any value within the set of real numbers, which includes all rational and irrational numbers.

2. What does "x,y,z>=0" mean?

This means that x, y, and z are all greater than or equal to zero, or in other words, they are non-negative numbers.

3. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and indicates whether one is greater than, less than, or equal to the other.

4. How can I prove the given inequality?

To prove the inequality, you can use various mathematical techniques and properties, such as the properties of real numbers, algebraic manipulation, and logical reasoning. It is important to start with the given information and use logical steps to reach the desired conclusion.

5. Can the inequality still hold true if a, b, or c are negative numbers?

Yes, the inequality can still hold true if a, b, or c are negative numbers. The given statement only specifies that a, b, and c are real numbers, so they can be positive, negative, or zero. The proof should work regardless of the sign of the numbers.