Suppose traffic laws allowed mathematical reasoning

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibilities of applying mathematical reasoning to traffic laws, including the legality of left turns on red lights and the concept of a speed limit scale based on individual abilities and vehicle capabilities. The potential issues and challenges with implementing such a system are also mentioned.
PAllen
Science Advisor
Some time ago I had a thought regarding turning rules in the US, back when right turn on (a) red (light - unless otherwise marked) was becoming universal.

If U-turn was legal on the cross street, then by smoothing out a sequence of legal maneuvers:

- left turn on red should be legal (right on red + U-turn)
- straight through on red should be legal (right on red + U-turn + right on green)

Needless to say I've never been willing to test in court how 'virtual' each maneuver can be to have legal standing.

So, can anyone add to to this list of what would follow if mathematical reasoning were applied to traffic laws? (any type of traffic law, any type of formal reasoning)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can I do a succession of 5 consecutive U-Turns (4 Loops + 1 U) instead of doing 1? Or are loops suppressed because they would take longer and not be as prudent...

I have always felt that there should be a scale of speed limits. You should have to take a mental/reaction aptitude test, and have your vehicle rated for specific maximum speeds, and be given a special limit based on it.

This way you avoid grannies in top-heavy SUV's from barreling down a highway at 70mph, and professional race car drivers in the Z06's can go 180mph.

But as to your original intent :

If the center lane is dashed (thus allowing for passing) and there are no oncoming cars, and traffic is backed up in my lane (construction?), can I just drive for as long as I want in the oncoming lane, "passing" everyone legally?

Hepth said:
I have always felt that there should be a scale of speed limits. You should have to take a mental/reaction aptitude test, and have your vehicle rated for specific maximum speeds, and be given a special limit based on it.

This way you avoid grannies in top-heavy SUV's from barreling down a highway at 70mph, and professional race car drivers in the Z06's can go 180mph.
Most fatalities are occur in accidents where there is a large speed differential. Your system would increase the number of cars traveling at higher differentials. Plus, how would anyone enforce such a system?

1. How would allowing mathematical reasoning affect traffic laws?

If traffic laws allowed mathematical reasoning, it would likely lead to more precise and logical rules and regulations. This could potentially make the roads safer and more efficient.

2. Would drivers need to have a strong understanding of mathematics to follow these laws?

While a basic understanding of mathematics may be helpful, it is unlikely that drivers would need an extensive knowledge of the subject to follow the laws. The laws would likely be written in a way that is easy for the general public to understand.

3. How would mathematical reasoning be used in enforcing traffic laws?

Mathematical reasoning could be used in a variety of ways to enforce traffic laws. For example, it could be used to determine the most efficient speed limit for a specific road or to calculate the probability of accidents at a certain intersection.

4. Would there be any drawbacks to allowing mathematical reasoning in traffic laws?

As with any change, there could potentially be some drawbacks. For example, it may take time and resources to implement these new laws and educate the public about them. Additionally, there may be some pushback from those who are not comfortable with using mathematics in this context.

5. How would this change impact the role of law enforcement in traffic control?

Allowing mathematical reasoning in traffic laws could potentially change the role of law enforcement in traffic control. They may focus more on monitoring and enforcing the laws based on data and statistics rather than personal judgement. It could also lead to a more objective and consistent approach to traffic control.