Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter marcus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Act
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 7K views
I like someone to tell me how I can even apply for this wonderful affordable heath care coverage that the ACA promised me 8 years ago?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hornbein said:
Wendell Potter was a senior VP at a major health insurer (most recently doing $30B in business).

Wendell wasn't working at an ins company during any of the time the ACA was in debate or being implemented. I was. Let me assure you, this is mostly nonsense, and a gross simplification of what actually went on.
 
gjonesy said:
I do, it was promoted as national heath care on Obamas first campaign for the presidency.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.healthcare.html

DEMOCRATS
obama_background.jpg
Barack Obama
Would create a national health insurance program for individuals who do not have employer-provided health care and who do not qualify for other existing federal programs

A national health insurance program is not the same thing as national health care.
 
I really can't stress the above enough. Health care is not the same as health care financing.

It's not a detail, or a technicality. One is a doctor providing care. The other is money passing through ACO bank accounts. One is a pill. The other is a contract between corporations.

Example: The VA provides health care. Medicare is insurance. You can go to a doctor who works for the VA. You have to find a doctor who will take Medicare.

Health care is not the same thing as health insurance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, billy_joule and mheslep
..
Hornbein said:
Wendell Potter was a senior VP at a major health insurer (most recently doing $30B in business). According to him the insurance sector loves Obamacare.

I'd love a law that forced people to tithe to me, too.
(Well actually i wouldn't. That's thievery.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Potter
On September 15, 2009, Potter appeared before the United States House of Representatives Democratic Steering and Policy Committee. Potter said in his opening statement that if Congress "fails to create a public insurance option to compete with private insurers, the bill it sends to the president might as well be called the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act."[8]

According to PBS Frontline,
"No Public Option" was the insurance industry's condition for electing Obama .in '08
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamasdeal/

i'd have been for ACA if it'd had the public option.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gjonesy
gjonesy said:
Notice the words insurance and health care are interchangeable terms in the context in which they were used here.

No, those are never interchangeable, and it is not semantics. I gave very concrete examples of how different the two terms are.

I do agree that you thought they were interchangeable. That doesn't make it true.
 
jim hardy said:
I'd love a law that forced people to tithe to me, too.
(Well actually i wouldn't. That's thievery.)

Yea, it sounds like a good deal for insurance companies that the gov't now requires people to have health insurance. However, it also capped (admin + profits) and increased administrative costs (what does that do to the above equation?).

The thing that's so bad about posts like yours, is that I worked in commercial health insurance as an actuary. I was opposed to the ACA as it was being made law, and spent years implementing it. I watched it tank commercial profitability, and watched as insurance companies moved on to new areas of business, such as Medicare and Medicaid.

You think I think it was great, when I don't.

That makes you wrong.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is off the rails and is closed. Posts that do not meet the guidelines have been removed.