1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface-charge of a uniformly polarized sphere

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Please take a look at #2 in http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~hori/Courses/P352F/hw6.pdf

(this is not homework, I'm just training).

Ok, I can find the electric field inside the cavity y superposition and it is E = (-1/ 3*e_o)*P. I know that the bound surface charge is P*cos(theta), where theta is the usual spherical coordinate. My question is: Is the total charge on the inner surface P*cos(theta)*4*Pi*(R_0)^2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2
    Where is [tex]\theta[/tex] in your last sentence? In order to find the total charge, you must integrate - not multiply - since the surface charge varies with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]. The proper way to find the surface charge would be

[tex]Q = \int_S \sigma(\theta) \, da = \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \int_0^{\pi} \cos \theta \sin \theta d\theta = 0[/tex]

It's zero, because on the northern hemisphere the bound charge is positive, which is compensated by the symmetrically negative bound charge on the southern hemisphere.

In conclusion, the answer is no.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?