Surface of revolution - y = (1/3)x^3

In summary: DI think I'm getting it!So, the first term is:$$d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)$$Which is:$$\d{}{x}\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)\d{}{x}\left(x^2\right)$$So, the first term is:$$\d{}{x}\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)\d{}{x}\left(x^2\right)$$$$=\frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\d{}{x}\left(x^2
Dethrone
Find the area of the surface of revolution $y=\frac{1}{3}x^3$ from $x=0$ to $3$, about the y-axis.

$$S=\int_{0}^{9} 2 \pi x \sqrt{1+(\d{x}{y}})^2\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} x \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^4}}\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} \frac{1}{x}\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} \frac{1}{(3y)^{1/3}}\sqrt{(3y)^{4/3}+1}\,dy$$

At this point, I can only say, "Why couldn't $(3y)^{1/3}$ have been in the numerator!"... (Crying)(Crying)

This integral is quite hard to solve, and I was wondering if I missed something in the question. Now I did solve the integral, but not without a series of substitutions: let $3y = u$,let $u = z^3$, let $z^2 = a$, let $a = tan \theta$. Surely, this question could have be solved much easier?

EDIT: Not to mention, after the tangent substitution at the end, you get the dreaded $\sec^3\left({\theta}\right)$ requiring repeated integration by parts...(Swearing)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would integrate with respect to $x$ to begin with:

\(\displaystyle S=2\pi\int_0^3 x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\)

or:

\(\displaystyle S=2\pi\int_0^3 \frac{x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx\)

or:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\int_0^3 \frac{2x^5+2x+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx\)

Now, can you split this integrand into 3 terms with well-known anti-derivatives?

Before I split the integrand, how come you have three different integrals? Are they all the same thing?

Rido12 said:
Before I split the integrand, how come you have three different integrals? Are they all the same thing?

Yes, in the first step I multiplied the integrand by:

\(\displaystyle 1=\frac{\sqrt{x^4+1}}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\)

and in the second step I am using:

\(\displaystyle x^5+x=\frac{3x^5+3x}{3}=\frac{2x^5+2x+x^5+x}{3}\)

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the anti-derivative you're looking for, but $\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}$ reminds me of a hyperbolic sine antiderivative.

Rido12 said:
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the anti-derivative you're looking for, but $\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}$ reminds me of a hyperbolic sine antiderivative.

Yes, what is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\sinh^{-2}\left(x^2\right)\right)\) ?

That's $\frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}$. I was thinking about making a substitution $x^2=z$, but I guess that's not necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

So far:

$$\frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}} +\frac{2x^5+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}$$

I still need to split it once more.

It's much more evident to me when I'm using the substitution $x^2=z$.

$$=\int \frac{3x^5+3x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}} dx$$
$$=\int \frac{3z^{5/2}+3z^{1/2}}{z^2+1} \frac{dz}{2\sqrt{z}}$$
$$=3 \int \frac{z^2+1}{\sqrt{z^2+1}}dz$$
$$=3 (\int \sqrt{z^2+1})$$

This is how I would normally do it. I was a bit slow earlier because I was working from my laptop.

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
That's $\frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}$.

Good! Yes, now we may write:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\int_0^3 \frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+\frac{2x^5+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx\)

or:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^3\frac{4x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)\)

For the second integral, think "product rule" since we have a sum...

I'm not following your steps.

$$\int_{0}^{3} \frac{2x^5+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx = \frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{3} \frac{4x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+\frac{2x^5+2x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx$$

I can't seem to get this:

$$\frac{1}{2}\int_0^3\frac{4x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx$$

Factor the numerator in the second term, and then cancel...:D

To avoid excessive LaTeX, I will work on the second half of the integral.

$$\frac{1}{2}\int_0^3\frac{4x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx$$

By product rule, are you referring to f'(x)g(x) + g'(x)f(x), or are you talking about integration by parts?

I am referring to the product rule for differentiation. See if you can express that integrand as the product of a differentiation. :D

The only thing I see is

$$\d{}{x}[\sqrt{x^4+1}(x^2)]=\frac{4x^3}{2\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}$$

But it's still not the integrand. Let me know if I'm going in the right direction, I'll try harder. This seems like a unique way to do integration, I don't think I've ever read about this.

Rido12 said:
The only thing I see is

$$\d{}{x}[\sqrt{x^4+1}(x^2)]=\frac{4x^3}{2\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}$$

But it's still not the integrand. Let me know if I'm going in the right direction, I'll try harder. This seems like a unique way to do integration, I don't think I've ever read about this.

You are headed in the right direction...but your application of the product rule is a bit off...:D

Dear me, now I can't even differentiate. I've overexerted myself today...

So, I would write it like this? :P

$$\int d\left(x^2(\sqrt{x^4+1})\right)$$

Can you explain this notation a bit? I've never seen it before. By integrating with respect to the function, you are essentially cancelling out the integration?

I can see I am a bit off here...let's return to:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)\)

Now, let's write this as:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}-x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)\)

or:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)-\frac{1}{3}S\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)\)

or:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)\)

Okay, now we can apply the product rule I was talking about before...:D

Rido12 said:
Dear me, now I can't even differentiate. I've overexerted myself today...

So, I would write it like this? :P

$$\int d\left(x^2(\sqrt{x^4+1})\right)$$

Can you explain this notation a bit? I've never seen it before. By integrating with respect to the function, you are essentially cancelling out the integration?

Yes, that's a good way to think of it:

\(\displaystyle \int\,du=u+C\)

So, whatever $u$ is, the integral of its differential is just $u$ itself...the two operations are inverses of one another and so the indeed do "cancel" out (plus the constant of integration).

Oh. My. God. How does one LaTeX so quickly...(Speechless)

$$\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\,d\left((x^2)(\sqrt{x^4+1}\right)\right)$$

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how did you plan out and see the product rule...? I would have never seen that as the product rule...

Rido12 said:
Oh. My. God. How does one LaTeX so quickly...(Speechless)

$$\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\,d\left((x^2)(\sqrt{x^4+1}\right)\right)$$

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how did you plan out and see the product rule...? I would have never seen that as the product rule...

I usually copy/paste my last line, and then modify it as needed, then repeat. :D

I cheated, looked at the anti-derivative as given by W|A, and then worked backwards in an effort to look slick. (Cool)

Aww, I thought it was a trick I could learn :(
But it was very clever indeed. Now getting back to the original question, how would differentiating with respect to x first help with finding the answer?

- - - Updated - - -

I also realized that you avoided a variable substitution. Was there a reason for that, or just personal preference?

This is what I would have normally done:$$=\int \frac{3x^5+3x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}} dx$$
$$=\int \frac{3z^{5/2}+3z^{1/2}}{\sqrt{z^2+1}} \frac{dz}{2\sqrt{z}}$$
$$=3 \int \sqrt{z^2+1} dz$$
$$=3 \int \sec^3\left({\theta}\right) d\theta$$

Rido12 said:
Aww, I thought it was a trick I could learn :(
But it was very clever indeed. Now getting back to the original question, how would differentiating with respect to x first help with finding the answer?

- - - Updated - - -

I also realized that you avoided a variable substitution. Was there a reason for that, or just personal preference?

This is what I would have normally done:$$=\int \frac{3x^5+3x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}} dx$$
$$=\int \frac{3z^{5/2}+3z^{1/2}}{\sqrt{z^2+1}} \frac{dz}{2\sqrt{z}}$$
$$=3 \int \sqrt{z^2+1} dz$$
$$=3 \int \sec^3\left({\theta}\right) d\theta$$

Well, there actually is a trick to be learned...that rewriting the integrand and looking for known derivatives can be useful. :D

Integrating the cube of the secant function can be fun too...

With a bit of algebra, we may write this in a form we may integrate directly:

$\displaystyle \sec^3(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2}(\sec^3(\alpha)+\sec^3(\alpha))=\frac{1}{2}(\sec^3(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)(\tan^2(\alpha)+1))=$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\sec^3(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)\tan^2(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)\frac{\tan(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)}{\tan(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)} \right)=$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\sec(\alpha)\sec^2(\alpha)+\sec(\alpha)\tan^2(\alpha)+\frac{\sec(\alpha)\tan(\alpha)+\sec^2(\alpha)}{\sec(\alpha)+\tan(\alpha)} \right)=$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\sec(\alpha)\tan(\alpha)+\ln\left|\sec(\alpha)+\tan(\alpha) \right| \right)$

While looking for "derivatives" is a good trick, if there aren't any, wouldn't you be wasting more time than if you were to use a more standard technique? For example, the "product rule" trick only worked because of W|A.

About $\sec^3\left({x}\right)$, your method seems much more fun than using integration my parts...

Also, getting back to the original question:

$$\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\int_0^3 d\left(\sinh^{-1}\left(x^2\right)\right)+\int_0^3\frac{2x^5}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}+2x\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dx\right)$$
$$=\frac{\pi}{2}\ln\left({x^2+\sqrt{x^4+1}}\right)|_0^3 + \frac{\pi}{2}\left(x^2\sqrt{x^4+1}\right)|_0^3 $$

This gives the right answer, but why are we allowed to differentiate w.r.t x when we're rotating about the y-axis?

I would say that if a standard technique yields results, then take that path, but sometimes we may wander a bit before finding a path that leads to the fruits of a result.

I simply began with the formula in my old Calc textbook:

\(\displaystyle S=2\pi\int_a^b x\sqrt{1+\left(f'(x)\right)^2}\,dx\)

The $x$ in the integrand represents the radius of the element of the surface, while the radical and differential are the width of the element.

Take makes sense. The book I'm using makes it clear that rotation about the y-axis requires
$$S=\int 2 \pi x \sqrt{1+\left(\d{x}{y}\right)^2}\,dy$$

and rotation about the x-axis requires:

$$S=\int 2 \pi y \sqrt{1+\left(\d{y}{x}\right)^2}\,dx$$

But it's not always the case. Right now, it seems that the only thing that is constant for rotation about the y-axis is that the radius must be "x" which makes sense, but the width can either be differentiated with respect to x or y as long as you integrate with respect to that too.

Thanks for the help, it makes sense now! It's about 3am here, so I'm going to bed (Yawn)

We're in the same time zone then...and I am feeling the droopiness beginning to invade my eyes as well. :D

Now that I reread this question, what was your original motive for splitting up the integrand like this?

$$\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\int_0^3 \frac{2x^5+2x+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx$$

You said it would be split into 3 integrals, but it only became two in the end.

Rido12 said:
Now that I reread this question, what was your original motive for splitting up the integrand like this?

$$\displaystyle S=\frac{2\pi}{3}\int_0^3 \frac{2x^5+2x+x^5+x}{\sqrt{x^4+1}}\,dx$$

You said it would be split into 3 integrals, but it only became two in the end.

One of the three resulting integrals was a constant times $S$, so it was moved to the other side of the equation. :D

Rido12 said:
Find the area of the surface of revolution $y=\frac{1}{3}x^3$ from $x=0$ to $3$, about the y-axis.

$$S=\int_{0}^{9} 2 \pi x \sqrt{1+(\d{x}{y}})^2\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} x \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^4}}\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} \frac{1}{x}\sqrt{x^4+1}\,dy$$
$$=2\pi\int_{0}^{9} \frac{1}{(3y)^{1/3}}\sqrt{(3y)^{4/3}+1}\,dy$$

At this point, I can only say, "Why couldn't $(3y)^{1/3}$ have been in the numerator!"... (Crying)(Crying)

This integral is quite hard to solve, and I was wondering if I missed something in the question. Now I did solve the integral, but not without a series of substitutions: let $3y = u$,let $u = z^3$, let $z^2 = a$, let $a = tan \theta$. Surely, this question could have be solved much easier?

EDIT: Not to mention, after the tangent substitution at the end, you get the dreaded $\sec^3\left({\theta}\right)$ requiring repeated integration by parts...(Swearing)

It bothered me that I provided help by using a CAS to get the result and then work backwards, so let's have another go at this.

Using the formula:

\(\displaystyle S=2\pi\int_a^b x\sqrt{1+\left(\d{y}{x}\right)^2}\,dx\)

we identify:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{3}x^3\,\therefore\,\d{y}{x}=x^2\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle S=2\pi\int_0^3 x\sqrt{\left(x^2\right)^2+1}\,dx\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle S=\pi\int_0^9 \sqrt{u^2+1}\,du\)

Now, using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\tan(\theta)\,\therefore\,du=\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

We get:

\(\displaystyle S=\pi\int_0^{\tan^{-1}(9)} \sec^3(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Using the formula I derived earlier:

\(\displaystyle \sec^3(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)+\ln\left|\sec(\theta)+\tan(\theta) \right| \right)\)

We obtain:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^{\tan^{-1}(9)}\,d\left(\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)+\ln\left|\sec(\theta)+\tan(\theta) \right| \right)\)

Application of the FTOC yields:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left[\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)+\ln\left|\sec(\theta)+\tan(\theta) \right|\right]_0^{\tan^{-1}(9)}\)

Given:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\tan^{-1}(z)\implies\sec(\theta)=\sqrt{z^2+1}\)

there results:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\left(9\sqrt{82}+\ln\left(\sqrt{82}+9\right)\right)-\left(0\right)\right)\)

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{\pi}{2}\left(9\sqrt{82}+\ln\left(\sqrt{82}+9\right)\right)\)

Thanks Mark!
Thanks for working it out again. I was beginning to doubt my ability to integrate yesterday when I failed to see where you were going with your pointers - since I failed to notice the backwards application of the product rule. Though, I will keep that trick in mind, and it's also not too difficult to notice it. :D

Seems that $\int \sec^3\left({x}\right)$ is mostly unavoidable unless you're a CAS, but I really like how you rewrote $\sec^3\left({x}\right)$ in a form that is easy to integrate. For some reason, I hate integration by parts, and I really don't find it useful since the need to use it rarely comes up in the problems I do.

At the end of your solving, did you end up plugging $\tan^{-1}(9)$ in? Or did you convert the bounds to $z$? I've always avoided changing bounds to that of radians because of situations like this.

Rido12 said:
At the end of your solving, did you end up plugging $\tan^{-1}(9)$ in? Or did you convert the bounds to $z$? I've always avoided changing bounds to that of radians because of situations like this.

Yes, I used:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\tan^{-1}(9)\implies\tan(\theta)=9,\,\sec(\theta)=\sqrt{9^2+1}=\sqrt{82}\)

\(\displaystyle \theta=0\implies\tan(\theta)=0,\,\sec(\theta)=\sqrt{0^2+1}=1\)

1. What is the equation for the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3?

The equation for the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 is a cubic function that represents a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating the curve y = (1/3)x^3 around the x-axis.

2. What is the shape of the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3?

The shape of the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 is a three-dimensional solid known as a paraboloid of revolution. It has a curved surface and a circular base.

3. How is the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 different from a regular parabola?

The surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 is different from a regular parabola because it is a three-dimensional shape, while a regular parabola is a two-dimensional curve. Additionally, the surface of revolution has a circular cross-section, while a regular parabola has a straight line as its cross-section.

4. What is the significance of the 1/3 coefficient in the equation y = (1/3)x^3?

The 1/3 coefficient in the equation y = (1/3)x^3 represents the rate at which the curve is increasing. This means that for every unit increase in x, the y-value increases at a rate of 1/3, resulting in a gradual and smooth curve.

5. How is the surface area of the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 calculated?

The surface area of the surface of revolution y = (1/3)x^3 can be calculated using the formula A = 2π∫y√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where y = (1/3)x^3 and the integral is taken over the limits of the curve. This formula takes into account the curved surface and circular base of the shape to accurately calculate its surface area.