Surface tension and force on water between glasses

In summary: The problem involves surface tension and pressure equations. The solution mentions two principal contributions to the pressure difference between the water inside and air outside: the one already discussed and the hoop tension caused by surface tension. This contributes a lower pressure increase compared to the one already discussed. The problem also neglects the weight of the glass.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

I need help on understanding a little part of the solution to this problem I've found on the internet.
The problem

Tensaosuperficial.png

Homework Equations

Surface tension and pressure equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution

Tensaosuperficialsolution.png

My doubt:
"The other component of the curvature is negligible because D>>d" What component? Did it mean the part in contact with the glass? Wouldn't the glass' weight interfeer the pressure?

By the way, can someone demonstrate me the young's equation of pressure on curved surfaces? I would really appreciate the help, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

I need help on understanding a little part of the solution to this problem I've found on the internet.
The problem

View attachment 72108

Homework Equations

Surface tension and pressure equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution

View attachment 72109

My doubt:
"The other component of the curvature is negligible because D>>d" What component? Did it mean the part in contact with the glass? Wouldn't the glass' weight interfeer the pressure?
There are two principal contributions to the pressure difference between the water inside and the air outside. The problem already discussed one of these. The other is the hoop tension, which acts like a belt around the disk of liquid. This is also caused by the surface tension, and contributes a pressure increase equal to 2γ/D (it's like, when you tighten your belt, the pressure gets higher on your belly). But note that this is much lower than 2γ/d.

The problem inherently neglects the weight of the glass.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks, Chet!

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the measure of the cohesive forces between molecules at the surface of a liquid. It is responsible for the tendency of liquids to form droplets and resist external forces that try to break their surface.

2. How is surface tension related to the force on water between glasses?

The force on water between glasses is a result of the surface tension of water. The cohesive forces between water molecules create a surface tension that pulls the water molecules towards one another, creating a force between the glasses.

3. Can surface tension be measured?

Yes, surface tension can be measured using a device called a tensiometer. This instrument applies an external force to the surface of a liquid and measures the resulting deformation, which can be used to calculate the surface tension.

4. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension is affected by factors such as temperature, type of liquid, and the presence of solutes or contaminants. Higher temperatures and the presence of certain substances can decrease surface tension, while others, such as surfactants, can increase it.

5. How does surface tension impact daily life?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as washing dishes, where dish soap reduces surface tension and allows water to spread evenly and remove dirt. It also helps insects like water striders walk on the surface of water and allows plants to transport water from their roots to their leaves against gravity.