Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Survival probability solar neutrinos

Tags:
  1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    I am trying to explain why why the survival probability for solar neutrinos is different for different neutrino solar lines, and what causes this difference.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "different for solar neutrino lines"? Different from what? Also, what is your exact question?

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3
    Sorry, I have corrected the question now. I need some help explaining it. I am referring to the solar neutrino energy spectrum

5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to provide a more specific question and inform us about your current level of understanding if we are going to have any chance of helping you at an appropriate level. There are several good reviews on this subject available online. Keywords to look out for (in addition to the obvious) are MSW effect and adiabatic flavour conversion.

6. Feb 26, 2015 #5
    My understanding of solar neutrino physics is pretty basic as I'm currently trying to get to grips with this field. I have a reasonable understanding of particle physics in general.

7. Feb 26, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This still tells us nothing of what specific problem you are having. You need to show what you have been thinking so far and where you get into trouble. This is a standard derivation that will be available in any neutrino physics review.

8. Feb 26, 2015 #7
    From what I can tell the lower the energy the better the survival probability i.e. pp neutrinos have a better survival probability than 8B neutrinos. I'm not sure how this relates to the MSW effect. I am looking at this purely qualitatively.

9. Feb 26, 2015 #8
    Could there be some effect from neutrino-neutrino interactions in the sun's neutrinosphere?

10. Feb 26, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At high energies, the solar interior is so dense that neutrinos produced there are produced almost exclusively in the second neutrino matter eigenstate. Propagation is adiabatic so the neutrinos exit the Sun and arrive at Earth in the second mass eigenstate, which only has a minor component of electron neutrino which gives a probability less than 0.5.

For low energy neutrinos, the solar interior is not dense enough to reach resonance energies and the transitions are essentially averaged vacuum oscillations which always has a survival probability greater than 0.5.

11. Feb 26, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The Sun does not have a neutrino sphere and the neutrino density is waaaaay to low for it to have any kind of impact.

12. Feb 26, 2015 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Could you explain a little what you mean by that? :sorry:

13. Feb 26, 2015 #12

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which part?

14. Feb 26, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

that the "transistions are averaged vacuum oscillations"

15. Feb 26, 2015 #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are several reasons the vacuum oscillations average out. One of them is that vacuum oscillations of plane waves would be so fast that no detector could resolve them. My favourite is that with reasonable assumptions on the wave packet sizes and velocities, the wave packets would separate before arriving on Earth, giving complete loss of the interference between the mass eigenstates and, thus, remove the oscillatin terms from the survival probability (and from the transition probability too, of course).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook