Surviving the First Year of College - Comments

In summary, ZapperZ discusses the importance of keeping a good lab notebook and engaging in summer research during the first year of college. He also addresses the question of whether it is worth joining the Society of Physics Students (SPS) for non-US students, as they only receive an online copy of Physics Today instead of a physical copy.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ submitted a new PF Insights post

Surviving the First Year of College

soyouwantobephysicsp2-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is at least one typo: "... you are a year subscription to Physics Today..."

I believe that one of the useful skills to begin to learn in the first year laboratory course is the ability to keep a good lab notebook. My first year physics lab instructor liked to give everyone a copy of a section from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics" that discussed what a good notebook should contain. I enjoyed reading this, and as I got older, I appreciated the material even more.

I also think that the first year is not too early to think about summer research. Funding agencies, as well as educators are stressing the importance of early engagement in research for STEM students interested in becoming a scientist. If this is what you want to do, you should talk with your professors. Make sure to tell them that you are not going to medical school! (Pre-meds are notorious for seeking out these types of things as med school application burnishers. I believe that Professors are more interested, though, in working with people who are interested in doing science.)

Thank you for your wonderful insights.
I want to join the society of physics students, but I will be studying in Germany. Is it worth paying the $30 annual due, or should I just subscribe to the Physics Today? Are there be SPS events outside US?
Apparently if you are a SPS member, they don't even give the Physics Today if you don't live in the US, you only get an online copy.

What are some tips for surviving the first year of college?

1. Develop time-management skills: College can be overwhelming with all the assignments, exams, and extracurricular activities. Make a schedule and stick to it to stay organized and on top of your workload.

2. Find a support system: Whether it's family, friends, or a mentor, having a support system can help you navigate through the challenges of the first year of college.

3. Take care of your physical and mental health: College can be stressful, so it's important to prioritize your well-being. Make sure to eat well, exercise, and take breaks to avoid burnout.

4. Get involved: Joining clubs or organizations on campus is a great way to meet new people, find a sense of community, and develop new skills.

5. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Most colleges have resources such as tutoring, counseling services, and academic advisors to support students in their first year.