Swinging Atwood Machine, Hamilton-Jacobi Eq.

I'm stuck on the Hamilton-Jacobi equation.In summary, the conversation involved discussing the swinging Atwood machine and the steps taken to find the Lagrangian, Hamiltonian, and equations of motion for the system. The conversation also touched on using transformations to simplify the problem and the use of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. There was also a mention of separating the equations with a separation constant and seeking help from the Hand and Finch book.
Gregg
This is a question about the swinging Atwood machine. I have completed the first half of the problems which involved finding a lagrangian involving the obvious co-ordinates, finding the conjugate momenta and writing a new Hamiltonian:

[tex] H = E = \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{2mr^2}+\frac{p_r^2}{2(m+M)}-gr(m \cos \theta - M) [/tex]

We are then given the expression for the energy under the following transformations:

[tex] r = \frac{\xi^2 +\eta^2}{2} [/tex]

[tex] \theta = 2\arctan\left(\frac{\xi^2-\eta^2}{2\xi\eta}\right) [/tex]

Which is:
eq1.png

We are looking at the case where M=3m (the system is integrable) Rather than just changing a sign somewhere in E I decided to use
[tex] L=2T-E [/tex]

After plugging this in and doing some cancellations I found that:

[tex] T = 2m(\xi^2\eta^2)(\dot{\eta}^2+\dot{\xi}^2) [/tex]

[tex] L=2m(\eta^2+\xi^2)(\dot{\eta}^2+\dot{\xi}^2)-2mg \frac{\xi^4+\eta^4}{\xi^2+\eta^2} [/tex]

Now I have the Lagrangian I can find the canonically conjugate momenta for xi and eta as the partial derivatives of my Lagrangian with respect to their corresponding time derivatives. Plugging this into the equation for the Hamiltonian I get a new H:

[tex] H = \frac{p_{\eta}^2+p_{\xi}^2}{8m(\eta^2+\xi^2)}+2mg \frac{\eta^4+\xi^4}{\eta^2+\xi^2} [/tex]

Then we come to the bit I am stuck on the part about the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. I don't know if I've made a mistake somewhere but I thought the transformations were supposed to simplify the problem?

Using HJE

[tex] \frac{1}{8m(\xi^2+\eta^2)} \left[ \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial \xi} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial \eta} \right)^2 \right] + 2mg \frac{\eta^4 + \xi^4 }{\eta^2+\xi^2} + \frac{\partial S}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

So they're separable so take S,

[tex] S(\eta, \xi, t) = W_1(\xi) +W_2(\eta) - Et [/tex]

where E is the energy.

Then I deduce that:

[tex] \frac{1}{8m(\xi^2+\eta^2)}\left[ \left( \frac{d W_1(\xi)}{d \xi} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{d W_2(\eta)}{d \eta} \right)^2 \right] + 2mg \frac{\eta^4 + \xi^4 }{\eta^2+\xi^2} = E [/tex]

Then because it's separable or at least we are assuming it is:

[tex] \left( \frac{d W_1(\xi)}{d \xi} \right)^2 = 8\xi^2m (E-2mg \xi^2) [/tex]
[tex] \left( \frac{d W_2(\eta)}{d \eta} \right)^2 = 8\eta^2m (E-2mg \eta^2) [/tex]

Which is solvable giving:

[tex] W_1(\xi) = -\frac{\sqrt{2} (E-2m\eta^2)^{3/2}}{2\sqrt{m}} [/tex]
[tex] W_2(\eta) = -\frac{\sqrt{2} (E-2m\xi^2)^{3/2}}{2\sqrt{m}} [/tex]

Am I wrong in splitting it up this way? The question says to separate them with separation constant I

q1.png

What is separation constant I, and have I separated properly? Is the Hamiltonian correct? I am unsure on how going from here I will eventually get an EoM. And what the point of the transformations were really.

Physics news on Phys.org
your a second year at durham aren't you?

this is our homework for Theoretical Physics.

I don't know - haven't looked at it.

tbh - feign illness. easiest way out.

or if you actually want to do it - get Hand and Finch out of the Library - its pretty helpful.

No thanks I'd rather just do it. Got the book

1. What is a Swinging Atwood Machine?

A Swinging Atwood Machine is a physical system that consists of two masses connected by a string or rod, with one mass hanging vertically and the other swinging in a horizontal arc. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts of energy, motion, and dynamics.

2. How does a Swinging Atwood Machine work?

The swinging motion of the Atwood machine is a result of the difference in gravitational potential energy between the two masses. As the hanging mass moves downward, it transfers energy to the swinging mass, causing it to accelerate. As the swinging mass reaches its lowest point, the energy is transferred back to the hanging mass, causing it to move upward again. This cycle continues, resulting in a swinging motion.

3. What is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is a partial differential equation used to describe the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics. It is derived from the Hamiltonian function, which represents the total energy of a system. The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is used to calculate the trajectory of a system in terms of the initial conditions and time.

4. How is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation used in the Swinging Atwood Machine?

In the Swinging Atwood Machine, the Hamilton-Jacobi equation is used to describe the motion of the swinging mass. By solving the equation, one can determine the trajectory of the swinging mass and the relationship between its position and time. This equation is useful in analyzing the energy and motion of the system and can be used to make predictions about its behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Swinging Atwood Machine and Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Swinging Atwood Machine and Hamilton-Jacobi equation have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. They are used to study the dynamics of pendulum-like systems and to design control systems for robots and other mechanical devices. They are also used in astrodynamics to calculate the trajectories of spacecraft and satellites. Additionally, the Hamilton-Jacobi equation has applications in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.