1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switched from CompE to PhysE, want to go to EE. Help me

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    I start my freshmen year this fall (yeah, i know, theres time to change). I was originally in CompE because I choose it without really researching. Then switched to Physics because, like everyone else here, I'm interested in finding new things and String theory, and what not.

But that's only because I watched Elegant Universe on tv, and read about Black Holes, etc. I have no idea on any of the math behind it all.

I'm great with Computers and electronics, although I hate programming.
    I want to work with and design HDTVs, Projectors, and other high end equipment. I hear EEs do all that stuff.

I don't know what to do.

By the way, I'm very good at math (Calc II was easy for me) and Physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    start as an engineer, as its easier to get out of engineer than to get into it. Your first year, you will take the same math and physics courses that a physics student would take, along with the introductory courses of your major. at that point you will see what interests you. It might not be too late even two years from now, so don't worry about things too much.

As an EE you will have to do some programming. But the same could be said of almost every technical major
  4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    yeah ur gonan do a lot of programming in either EE or physics. You gotta make sure your technology does what you want it to do.

..i too hate programming. Could you do something else? Learn physics for fun. Take a few courses like quantum and read popular science journals.
  5. Jun 17, 2008 #4

Holy crap, I'm exactly the same way, in every respect that you've described.

My first choice was EE, but after doing a course in Electromagnetism, I switched to Engineering Systems and Computing, to start Freshman this September. I can switch freely between programs when I pinpoint my interest down the road.
  6. Jun 19, 2008 #5
    Can an engineering physics student (with a bacherlors of science in eng. phsyics) go to an EE grad school?
  7. Jun 19, 2008 #6
    Probably. You might have to take some undergrad courses before they let you take the graduate level ones, but I hear it's fairly common.
  8. Jun 19, 2008 #7
    There isn't much information on the internet about Engineering Physics, even. argh!
  9. Jun 19, 2008 #8
    I called up the Engineering dept. at my college and asked them about switiching to EE. They said the paperwork for switching to Physics is still working its way through, and so I should wait and make the change once I get there in August.

I think I made the right decision; can't wait until it's changed :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?