1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching from physics to finance

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently doing my Master in Theoretical Physics, because I like to study physics, but I don't want to have a career in physics. Right now I'm looking at a career in (quantitative) finance. I don't have any knowledge of it yet. Does anyone have any tips on making this switch? (Such as recommended books, etc.)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I studied maths, physics and computer science at uni, then embarked on a career in finance by doing a post-graduate qualification as an actuary.

If you are doing quantitative finance a core part will be understanding derivatives pricing. The 'bible' of the subject is John Hull's 'Options Futures and Other Derivatives', which I would strongly recommend. A good supplement to that, being somewhat more mathematical and relating the stochastic processes being discussed to fundamental results of measure theory, is Baxter and Rennie's 'Financial Calculus'.

Emmanuel Derman, a physicist who switched to finance and succeeded, wrote a book about it 'My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance'. I haven't read it, but I'm told it's quite good

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3
    You could search for TwoFishQuant's old posts. In some ways they may be a bit outdated now, but they should still give you a lot of flavor for what the switch to a quant involves.

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4
    I have John Hull's Finance book and it looks very good although Finance is not my area.

6. Nov 15, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook