Switching from physics to finance

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is studying physics but wants to switch to a career in quantitative finance. They are seeking advice on how to make this transition, including recommended books to read. Some suggested books include John Hull's 'Options Futures and Other Derivatives' and Emmanuel Derman's 'My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance'. They also mention searching for old posts by TwoFishQuant for more information on the switch to a quant career.
dumbperson
Hey everyone.

I'm currently doing my Master in Theoretical Physics, because I like to study physics, but I don't want to have a career in physics. Right now I'm looking at a career in (quantitative) finance. I don't have any knowledge of it yet. Does anyone have any tips on making this switch? (Such as recommended books, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I studied maths, physics and computer science at uni, then embarked on a career in finance by doing a post-graduate qualification as an actuary.

If you are doing quantitative finance a core part will be understanding derivatives pricing. The 'bible' of the subject is John Hull's 'Options Futures and Other Derivatives', which I would strongly recommend. A good supplement to that, being somewhat more mathematical and relating the stochastic processes being discussed to fundamental results of measure theory, is Baxter and Rennie's 'Financial Calculus'.

Emmanuel Derman, a physicist who switched to finance and succeeded, wrote a book about it 'My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance'. I haven't read it, but I'm told it's quite good

You could search for TwoFishQuant's old posts. In some ways they may be a bit outdated now, but they should still give you a lot of flavor for what the switch to a quant involves.

I have John Hull's Finance book and it looks very good although Finance is not my area.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them out.

What is the main difference between physics and finance?

The main difference between physics and finance is that physics is a natural science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions, while finance is a social science that deals with the management of money and other assets.

Can a physicist easily transition to a career in finance?

Yes, a physicist can easily transition to a career in finance. Both fields require strong analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deep understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts. Physicists also have a strong foundation in quantitative and computational methods, which are highly valued in the finance industry.

What are some common job roles for physicists in the finance industry?

Some common job roles for physicists in the finance industry include quantitative analysts, risk managers, financial engineers, and data scientists. These roles often involve using mathematical models and algorithms to analyze financial data and make informed decisions.

What skills from physics are transferable to finance?

Many skills from physics are transferable to finance, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and quantitative modeling. Physicists also have a strong background in programming and using complex software, which are essential skills in the finance industry.

Is a degree in physics necessary to work in finance?

No, a degree in physics is not necessary to work in finance. While a background in physics can be beneficial, many professionals in the finance industry come from diverse educational backgrounds, including economics, mathematics, engineering, and business. What is more important is having a strong understanding of financial concepts and the ability to apply quantitative and analytical skills to solve real-world problems.