Symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, rank 2 tensors can be decomposed into a symmetric and a skew symmetric part by using the formula A_{ab}=\frac{A_{ab}+A_{ba}}{2}+\frac{A_{ab}-A_{ba}}{2}. This involves using permutations of indices and the concept of symmetry.
quasar_4
I understand that all rank 2 tensors can be decomposed into a symmetric and a skew symmetric part, but I don't really understood how this is done. It has something to do with permutations of the indices, I guess, but I never learned anything about what a permutation is. Can anyone explain how one would go about symmetrizing (without assuming I have any knowledge of how to permute something)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do it...
[tex]A_{ab}=\frac{A_{ab}+A_{ba}}{2}+\frac{A_{ab}-A_{ba}}{2}[/tex]

To elaborate, for any pair of vectors [tex]u^a[/tex] and [tex]v^b[/tex]
[tex]A_{ab}u^av^b=\frac{A_{ab}+A_{ba}}{2}u^av^b+\frac{A_{ab}-A_{ba}}{2}u^av^b[/tex]

Last edited:

Symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors involves rearranging the indices of the tensor in a specific way to create two new tensors - a symmetric tensor and a skew symmetric tensor. This process is also known as tensor decomposition.

To understand this process, let's first define what a permutation is. A permutation is simply a rearrangement of a set of objects. In the case of tensors, the objects are the indices. For example, if we have a tensor T with indices i, j, and k, a permutation of these indices could be j, i, k. This means that the values of the tensor at position i and j have been swapped.

Now, to symmetrize a tensor, we need to take the original tensor and add it to itself after permuting the indices. This means that for a tensor T with indices i and j, the symmetric tensor S is given by S = 1/2(T + T'), where T' is the original tensor with the indices swapped (i.e. T' = T(j, i)). This process is repeated for all possible permutations of the indices.

On the other hand, to skew symmetrize a tensor, we need to take the original tensor and subtract it from itself after permuting the indices. This means that for a tensor T with indices i and j, the skew symmetric tensor A is given by A = 1/2(T - T'), where T' is the original tensor with the indices swapped (i.e. T' = T(j, i)). This process is also repeated for all possible permutations of the indices.

So, in summary, symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors involves permuting the indices and then adding or subtracting the original tensor from itself to create two new tensors - a symmetric and a skew symmetric tensor. This process is important in tensor analysis as it allows us to break down complex tensors into simpler components for easier analysis and manipulation.

1. What is the purpose of symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors?

Symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors is a mathematical operation used to simplify and manipulate tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays used to represent physical quantities. This process can help identify patterns and relationships within the tensor, making it easier to analyze and interpret data.

2. How do you symmetrize a tensor?

To symmetrize a tensor, the values in the tensor must be rearranged in a way that preserves the symmetry of the tensor. This means that the values in the tensor must be rearranged in a way that is independent of the order in which they are listed. This can be done by taking the average of the values in the tensor and assigning this value to all equivalent positions in the tensor.

3. What is the difference between symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing a tensor?

Symmetrizing a tensor means that the values in the tensor are rearranged in a way that preserves the symmetry of the tensor, while skew symmetrizing means that the values are rearranged in a way that preserves the skew symmetry of the tensor. Skew symmetry means that the tensor is unchanged when all the indices are reversed and multiplied by -1. In other words, the values are flipped along the diagonal of the tensor.

4. Why is it important to symmetrize and skew symmetrize tensors?

Symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors is important because it allows for easier analysis and interpretation of complex data. Many physical quantities, such as stress and strain, have symmetries that can be exploited to simplify calculations. By symmetrizing and skew symmetrizing tensors, we can take advantage of these symmetries and make the data more manageable and interpretable.

5. Can any tensor be symmetrized or skew symmetrized?

No, not all tensors can be symmetrized or skew symmetrized. The ability to symmetrize or skew symmetrize a tensor depends on its symmetries. If a tensor has no symmetries, then it cannot be symmetrized or skew symmetrized. Additionally, the dimensionality of the tensor also plays a role in its symmetries and whether it can be symmetrized or skew symmetrized.