Symmetry about x-axis, y-axis or origin

In summary: Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.If you solve for y, you don't get a function. Some of the points on the graph of the given equation are (-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), and (0, -1). The latter two points show that this graph is not that of a function, so writing f(x) and f(x) isn't applicable here.So you are saying that y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2} and y=-(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2} are not functions?And how do (0,1) and (
jaysquestions

Homework Statement

determine whether the graph of the function has symmetry about the x-axis, the y-axis or the origin. Check work by graphing:
x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[ x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 1 ] ^(3/2)

y = -x+1

Its a straight line with y-intercept at 1. I don't understand how it has any symmetry about either x or y axis?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jaysquestions said:

Homework Statement

determine whether the graph of the function has symmetry about the x-axis, the y-axis or the origin. Check work by graphing:
x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[ x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 1 ] ^(3/2)

y = -x+1

Its a straight line with y-intercept at 1. I don't understand how it has any symmetry about either x or y axis?
thanks
Bad algebra.

##\displaystyle \ (a+b)^{p}\ne a^p+b^p \ ## unless p=1 .

Well, you could solve for y:

[tex]f(-x)=f(x)? [/tex] or [tex]f(-x)=-f(x)?[/tex]

DeldotB said:
Well, you could solve for y:

[tex]f(-x)=f(x)? [/tex] or [tex]f(-x)=-f(x)?[/tex]
This is not helpful. The equation given does not have y as a function of x.

Mark44 said:
This is not helpful. The equation given does not have y as a function of x.
And why can't you just solve for y? I know you will have a plus or minus...so just analyze both parts. Same thing-This will show its symmetric about the origin.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a function will have symmetry about the x-axis if you can replace all the y's with y-'s and obtain the same function, and it will have symmetry about the y-axis if you can do the same thing to the x's in the function and obtain the same function. If you change both y's with y-'s and x's with x-'s and the function remains the same, then the function will have symmetry about the origin.

DeldotB said:
And why can't you just solve for y?
If you solve for y, you don't get a function. Some of the points on the graph of the given equation are (-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), and (0, -1). The latter two points show that this graph is not that of a function, so writing f(x) and f(x) isn't applicable here.

Adrian Jimenez said:
Keep in mind that a function will have symmetry about the x-axis if you can replace all the y's with y-'s and obtain the same function
If you can do this, then the graph you're looking at is not a function.

Corrected, the above would say "a function graph will have symmetry about the x-axis if you can replace all the y's with y-'s their opposites and obtain the same function graph"

Adrian Jimenez said:
, and it will have symmetry about the y-axis if you can do the same thing to the x's in the function and obtain the same function. If you change both y's with y-'s and x's with x-'s and the function remains the same, then the function will have symmetry about the origin.

So, strictly speaking, one would have to label it as an equation? Or is my proposed method incorrect?

Adrian Jimenez said:
So, strictly speaking, one would have to label it as an equation? Or is my proposed method incorrect?
See my previous post.

Mark44 said:
If you can do this, then the graph you're looking at is not a function.

Corrected, the above would say "a function graph will have symmetry about the x-axis if you can replace all the y's with y-'s their opposites and obtain the same function graph"
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Mark44 said:
If you solve for y, you don't get a function. Some of the points on the graph of the given equation are (-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), and (0, -1). The latter two points show that this graph is not that of a function, so writing f(x) and f(x) isn't applicable here.
So you are saying that [tex] y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2} [/tex] and [tex]y=-(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/tex] are not functions?

And how do (0,1) and (0,-1) make it not a function? The top and bottom half of the unit circle contain those points - this is analogous to saying that the graph of the top half of a circle is not a function because it contains these points.

Last edited:
DeldotB said:
So you are saying that [tex] y=(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2} [/tex] and [tex]y=-(1-x^{2/3})^{3/2}[/tex] are not functions?
No, I'm not. Those are functions. However, for almost every value of x in the domain of the original equation, there are two values of y. For a function, each value in the domain is paired with a single value in the codomain.

For a simpler example, consider the equation ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##. If you solve for y you get ##y = \pm \sqrt{1 - x^2}##. Again, there are two y values for each x value in the domain (with exceptions for x = 1 and x = -1. The graph of this equation is a circle of radius 1, with center at the origin. The graph does not pass the vertical line test, another clue that the equation does not represent a function. This is the same situation that is present in the equation of this thread.

Last edited:
DeldotB said:
Mark44 said:
No, I'm not. Those are functions. However, for almost every value of x in the domain of the orgininal equation, there are two values of y. For a function, each value in the domain is paired with a single value in the codomain.

For a simpler example, consider the equation ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##. If you solve for y you get ##y = \pm \sqrt{1 - x^2}##. Again, there are two y values for each x value in the domain (with exceptions for x = 1 and x = -1. The graph of this equation is a circle of radius 1, with center at the origin. The graph does not pass the vertical line test, another clue that the equation does not represent a function. This is the same situation that is present in the equation of this thread.
No, for every x value in the domain there is one y if you analyze just the top or bottom half. The graph passes the verticals line test as well. I do not understand why you are saying there are two y values for one x value if you analyze just the top or bottom half. I know that a functions inverse will also be a function if it's one to one. Maybe I'm not understand what you are saying. It sounds to me right know that you are saying something like y=x^2-1 is not a function because it contains (0,1) and (0,-1)

All I was originally saying was that you can break the function into two separate functions of x and test for symmetry.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeldotB said:
No, for every x value in the domain there is one y if you analyze just the top or bottom half.
That's true, but the original equation includes both halves.

If we go back to the simpler example I gave, ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##, if you solve for y you get ##y = \pm \sqrt{1 - x^2}##. The top half (with the pos. square root) is a function, and the bottom half (neg. sq. root) is also a function, but both together do not represent a function.
DeldotB said:
The graph passes the verticals line test as well.
No it doesn't. As I said before, the graph of the equation at the start of this thread includes (0, 1) and (0, -1), as well as many other pairs of points that are on a vertical line.

The graph of ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## also includes (0, 1) and (0, -1) and a lot more pairs that are on vertical lines. The equations ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = 1## and ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## do not represent functions.
DeldotB said:
I know that a functions inverse will also be a function if it's one to one. Maybe I'm not understand what you are saying. It sounds to me right know that you are saying something like y=x^2-1 is not a function because it contains (0,1) and (0,-1)
First, I am not saying this, and second, it's not true. This equation, which is different from the one in my example, is a function. If x = 0, then y = -1, so the point (0, -1) is on the graph. The point (0, 1) is not on the graph of this parabola.

Mark44 said:
That's true, but the original equation includes both halves.

If we go back to the simpler example I gave, ##x^2 + y^2 = 1##, if you solve for y you get ##y = \pm \sqrt{1 - x^2}##. The top half (with the pos. square root) is a function, and the bottom half (neg. sq. root) is also a function, but both together do not represent a function.
No it doesn't. As I said before, the graph of the equation at the start of this thread includes (0, 1) and (0, -1), as well as many other pairs of points that are on a vertical line.

The graph of ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## also includes (0, 1) and (0, -1) and a lot more pairs that are on vertical lines. The equations ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = 1## and ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## do not represent functions.

First, I am not saying this, and second, it's not true. This equation, which is different from the one in my example, is a function. If x = 0, then y = -1, so the point (0, -1) is on the graph. The point (0, 1) is not on the graph of this parabola.
Ok, I feel we have just mis understood each others posts. Obviously (0,1) is not on the graph of a porabola 1-x^2. We disagreed because I was talking about the graph of ONE of the two functions while you are talking about the entire graph (+/-). I was saying it sounded like you were implying that (0,1) AND (0,-1) were on the graph of THE TOP HALF of the graph ( which is what I was talking about all along). No more needs to be said here. Simple mis communication.

DeldotB said:
Ok, I feel we have just mis understood each others posts. Obviously (0,1) is not on the graph of a porabola 1-x^2. We disagreed because I was talking about the graph of ONE of the two functions while you are talking about the entire graph (+/-). I was saying it sounded like you were implying that (0,1) AND (0,-1) were on the graph of THE TOP HALF of the graph ( which is what I was talking about all along). No more needs to be said here. Simple mis communication.
Yes, throughout I was talking about the graph of the given equation and that of my example, not part of the graph of either equation.

1. What does it mean for a graph to have symmetry about the x-axis?

When a graph has symmetry about the x-axis, it means that the graph is mirrored or reflected across the x-axis. This means that the points on one side of the x-axis have a corresponding point on the other side that is the same distance from the x-axis. In other words, the graph appears identical when folded along the x-axis.

2. How can you determine if a graph has symmetry about the y-axis?

A graph has symmetry about the y-axis if it is mirrored or reflected across the y-axis. This means that the points on one side of the y-axis have a corresponding point on the other side that is the same distance from the y-axis. To determine if a graph has symmetry about the y-axis, you can fold the graph along the y-axis and see if the two halves match up exactly.

3. What does it mean for a graph to have symmetry about the origin?

A graph has symmetry about the origin if it is rotated 180 degrees around the origin and still appears the same. This means that the points on one side of the origin have a corresponding point on the other side that is the same distance from the origin. In other words, the graph appears identical when rotated around the origin.

4. Can a graph have symmetry about both the x-axis and the y-axis?

Yes, a graph can have both symmetry about the x-axis and the y-axis. This is known as symmetry about the origin. In this case, the graph appears identical when both folded along the x-axis and the y-axis, or when rotated 180 degrees around the origin.

5. How can identifying symmetry about the x-axis, y-axis, or origin be useful in graphing?

Identifying symmetry can help in graphing by making it easier to plot points and determine the shape of the graph. For example, if a graph has symmetry about the x-axis, you only need to plot points on one side of the x-axis and then reflect them across the x-axis to complete the graph. Additionally, knowing if a graph has symmetry can also help in identifying the behavior and characteristics of the function represented by the graph.