Symmetry groups of molecule - Hamiltonian

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everybody,

As I mentioned in the title, it is about molecular symmetry and its Hamiltonian.
My question is simple:
For any molecule that belong to a precise point symmetry group. Is the Hamiltonian of this molecule commute with all the symmetry element of its point symmetry group?

Thanks.
Konte

Answers and Replies

Yes.
Thank you for your answer.
Could you please indicate how to demonstrate this (any link or book?)

A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Thank you for your answer.
Could you please indicate how to demonstrate this (any link or book?)
I don't know of a reference. This is more or less by definition, because atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. If you use a second-quantized formulation, you cannot create Hamiltonians where this fails.

In practice one uses first-quantized formulations only and enforces this through how the molecular force field is set up - by imposing identical coefficients on terms that differ only by a permutation.

Last edited:
Likes Konte
I don't know of a reference. This is more or less by definition, because atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. If you use a second-quantized formulation, you cannot create Hamiltonians where this fails.

In practice one uses first-quantized formulations only and enforces this through how the molecular force field is set up.
Many thanks anyway. In fact, I suspect that the answer is "yes" , so you reassure me largely.
I turn to somebody who can indicate any demonstration if possible please.

Thanks