Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry groups of molecule - Hamiltonian

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    Hello everybody,

As I mentioned in the title, it is about molecular symmetry and its Hamiltonian.
    My question is simple:
    For any molecule that belong to a precise point symmetry group. Is the Hamiltonian of this molecule commute with all the symmetry element of its point symmetry group?

Thanks.
    Konte

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your answer.
    Could you please indicate how to demonstrate this (any link or book?)

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know of a reference. This is more or less by definition, because atoms with the same number of protons and neutrons are indistinguishable. If you use a second-quantized formulation, you cannot create Hamiltonians where this fails.

In practice one uses first-quantized formulations only and enforces this through how the molecular force field is set up - by imposing identical coefficients on terms that differ only by a permutation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Feb 11, 2016 #5
    Many thanks anyway. In fact, I suspect that the answer is "yes" , so you reassure me largely.
    I turn to somebody who can indicate any demonstration if possible please.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook