Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantum thermodynamics of single particle

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    Hello everybody,

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to define a temperature for single particle (or atom or molecule)? If so, how?

2) How to model with quantum Hamiltonian an exchange of energy between a single atom (or molecule) and a reservoir at given temperature ##T## ?

Thank you everybody.

Konte

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are your thoughts?

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    I don't understand your answer.

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes, by taking
    $$\rho=e^{-H/kT}$$
    where ##H## is the single-particle Hamiltonian.

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5
    Thank you for your answer.
    I still have question:
    - in this post https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...echanics-and-temperature.426455/#post-2869963, the forumer xerma mentioned a ##\rho = \frac{e^{-H/kT}}{Z}##. What is the difference between those two definitions of ##\rho## (that I suppose both density matrix operator) ?

Thank you very much.

7. Oct 23, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The latter formula is correct. The statistical operator must be of trace ##1##. Thus the statistical operator of the canonical ensemble is
    $$\hat{\rho}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad Z=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}), \quad \beta=\frac{1}{k_{\text{B}} T}.$$

8. Oct 23, 2016 #7
    Thank you for your answer.
    How to demonstrate this expression of ##\hat{\rho}##?
    Because, after searching, I always have another alternative form ##\hat{\rho}= \sum_i p_i | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i|##

Thanks.

Konte

9. Oct 23, 2016 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This expression you get from the maximum entropy principle. If you look for all statistical operators that lead to a given expectation value ##U=\mathrm{Tr} (\hat \rho \hat{H})## of the energy and minimize the entropy,
    $$S=-k_{\text{B}} \mathrm{Tr} \hat{\rho} \ln \hat{\rho},$$
    you get to the canonical statistical operator (of course you need the normalization ##\mathrm{Tr} \hat{\rho}=1## as another constraint).

The "alternative form" is just the expansion of the statistical operator in terms of its eigenvectors. Note that there can be also generalized eigenvectors if the operator has a continuous spectrum.

10. Oct 23, 2016 #9
    @vanhees71
    Ok, thank you for this interesting answer. Could you indicate me some lectures that can help to understand and make it clearer for a novice as me, please?
    I suppose, all of those concepts are valid and applicable for the case of a single system (like single atom or single molecule) ?

Thanks.
    Konte

11. Oct 23, 2016 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, these are very general concepts. My favorite book, using the information-theoretical approach, is

A. Katz, Principles of Statistical Mechanics, W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco and London, 1967.

Very good is also Landau&Lifshitz, vol. 5 or Reif.

12. Oct 23, 2016 #11
    Thanks a lot.

Konte

13. Oct 24, 2016 #12
    Hello,

I'm back, just because a little doubt persist on my understanding:
    Is the operator ##\hat{\rho} = \frac{e^{-\beta \hat{H}}}{Z}## still meaningful even for describing a pure state?
    Thanks

Konte

14. Oct 24, 2016 #13

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Of course not. An equilibrium state is only a pure state for ##T \rightarrow 0##. Note that using the equilibrium (canonical) distribution means that you look at a single particle within a heat bath at temperature ##T##!

15. Oct 24, 2016 #14
    Thank you,

So even for a single particle within a heat bath at ##T##°, the concept of mixed states is meaningful?

In other words, single particle is describable as a canonical ensemble once it is "surrounded" by a heat bath at fixed ##T##° (equilibrium)?

Konte.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted