I Symmetry of Hamiltonian and eigenstates

Suppose we have an electron in a hydrogen atom that satisfies the time-independent Schrodinger equation:
$$-\frac{\hbar ^{2}}{2m}\nabla ^{2}\psi - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}r}\psi = E\psi$$

How can it be that the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric when the energy eigenstate isn't? I was thinking along the lines of rotations with angular momentum operators but I'm not sure I can come up with a nice explanation. Can someone help me see why this is the case?

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
It just means that the eigenspaces are invariant under the symmetry group. Since symmetry groups of interest rarely have a nontrivial 1-dimensional representation, this means in practice that most energy eigenstates states are degenerate. One can easily verify this in the hydrogen atom, or in a pair of equal harmonic oscillators.

Strilanc

Science Advisor
Solving a differential equation tends to exponentiate things. Consider the complex circle ##2 e^{i \theta}##. What happens when we exponentiate it? Make a parametric plot of ##e^{2 e^{i \theta}}## and you get this:

Screenshot from 2016-03-29 14:29:34.png

Which is not circularly symmetric like its input was.

That's not a full explanation, but I hope it gives an intuition for why the spherical symmetry could be lost.

(Actually, because the Hamiltonian is scaled by ##i##, exponentiating tends to introduce cycling. But the cycles are in the phases of amplitudes, not in physical space.)

Solving a differential equation tends to exponentiate things. Consider the complex circle ##2 e^{i \theta}##. What happens when we exponentiate it? Make a parametric plot of ##e^{2 e^{i \theta}}## and you get this:

View attachment 98168

Which is not circularly symmetric like its input was.

That's not a full explanation, but I hope it gives an intuition for why the spherical symmetry could be lost.

(Actually, because the Hamiltonian is scaled by ##i##, exponentiating tends to introduce cycling. But the cycles are in the phases of amplitudes, not in physical space.)
Thank you for this - it's a nice thought. Is there any way you could apply this mode of thinking to the situation where ##\psi = R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) = R(r)cos(\theta)## say?

Strilanc

Science Advisor
Thank you for this - it's a nice thought. Is there any way you could apply this mode of thinking to the situation where ##\psi = R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) = R(r)cos(\theta)## say?
I actually don't know enough about it to do that, unfortunately. Actually I'm half-expecting the next poster to complain that it's a really misleading way to think about a Hamiltonian, so we'll see.

How can it be that the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric when the energy eigenstate isn't?
To see this intuitively consider Newtonian orbital dynamics. The hamiltonian is very similar, with a central 1/r^2 force and a kinetic energy term, mv^2/2 - or, if written as in Schroedinger's, p^2/2m. So ask the same question about planetary orbits: the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric but orbits don't have to be, why?

The reason is, the kinetic energy term is formally (as written) symmetric but not when we plug in actual values for a planet's initial position and velocity. If those initial conditions are just right we get a spherically-symmetric orbit (circle) but much more likely it will be an ellipse (or hyperbola, but that's irrelevant here). True the angular momentum is always symmetric, meaning: at any angle it's the same. But position and velocity (or, momentum) are not.

The hydrogen atom case is, roughly, the same idea, but it's more difficult because the electron's a wave function not a solid body like the Earth. You get complicated standing wave patterns instead of simple ellipses. But it's still true that the position and momentum (NOT angular) operators will give non-spherically-symmetric values in a given eigenstate (except s-orbitals).

I may be wrong on some detail or terminology, but I hope this intuitive picture helps

Strilanc

Science Advisor
The reason is, the kinetic energy term is formally (as written) symmetric but not when we plug in actual values for a planet's initial position and velocity. If those initial conditions are just right we get a spherically-symmetric orbit (circle) but much more likely it will be [...]
Nit: a circular orbit also isn't spherically-symmetric. Good example.

Last edited: