Synchronized clocks in a moving frame

In summary, the equation Δt' = Δt/γ is only valid if the two events happen at the same point in space and time, and the clocks in the frame moving are moving with speed v.
davon806

Homework Statement

It is not a homework question.I am trying to understand the concept in the attached diagram but I stuck.Hope someone can help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the lower part of the note,stating that Δt' = Δt/γ.However,imagine you are in the moving frame S'(the stationary train).Yes just a stationary train.If you shine a beam towards the head and back of the train,they should arrive at the same time(in your frame).Hence Δt' = 0,but this also implies Δt = 0.What's wrong?

Thanks!
12140117_1220996931249452_4316478324503461840_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation does not apply to time differences that do not happen at one position (in your reference frame). If you calculate time differences for the two ends of the train, you get an additional term in the transformation.

Thx for your reply...but i don't quite understand :d, could you explain a bit more?

You try to use a formula for a system where it does not apply.
It's like trying to use g=9.81 m/s^2 as gravitational acceleration on the Moon: it's simply not the right thing.
There is a more general formula that works both on Earth and Moon: F=GMm/r^2. In the same way, there are the more general Lorentz transformations that can be used here.

Sorry, I have just seen it. So, in my case, what does Δt' mean exactly?

Difference in time between two events (as defined in the text) in the frame that got a prime.

I find this derivation somewhat confusing.
It says that that clock A starts before clock B and then takes tB - tA as a positive quantity.
Also, it states that in the observer's frame the clocks in the moving frame are moving
with speed v. Then the diagram shows the moving frame moving to the left with
speed v.
The hand on both clocks are always in the same (relative) position which doesn't
help with the explanation.

What is meant by synchronized clocks in a moving frame?

Synchronized clocks in a moving frame refer to clocks that are moving at a constant velocity with respect to each other and are synchronized to show the same time at any given moment.

Why is it important to study synchronized clocks in a moving frame?

Studying synchronized clocks in a moving frame is important in understanding the principles of relativity and how time can be affected by the relative motion between different frames of reference.

How do synchronized clocks behave in a moving frame?

In a moving frame, synchronized clocks will appear to run at different rates depending on the relative velocity between the frames. This is known as time dilation and is a key concept in the theory of relativity.

Can synchronized clocks in a moving frame be used for accurate timekeeping?

While synchronized clocks in a moving frame may appear to run at different rates, they can still be used for accurate timekeeping as long as the relative velocity between the frames is known and accounted for.

What are some practical applications of synchronized clocks in a moving frame?

Synchronized clocks in a moving frame have practical applications in fields such as satellite navigation, where precise timekeeping is essential for accurate positioning. They also play a role in modern physics research and experiments, such as the study of subatomic particles and gravitational waves.